Strong Fuel Smell

Bulls I

I have a 1999 LS400.

I went to start it this morning and it wouldn't start. I tried 4 or so times with no success. In the process there was a super strong fuel smell coming out of the exhaust.

After 20 minutes or so I was able to start it while I put the accelerator to the floor. It started, revved and then stalled.

After another 20 minutes or so it started up. There wasn't a super strong fuel smell then.

I called the Lexus dealer to see if they had a fuel pressure regulator (which they didn't) and the guy said he's never sold a regulator or a fuel pressure damper. He also said that the fuel pressure regulator is in the fuel tank.

I had a Chevy pickup that had the same symptoms and it was the regulator. Any suggestions?

Attach the appropriate diagnostic device and check for a stored code.

A number of people on the forums have said places like Autozone will do it ... sometimes even for free. Any Lexus dealer would be able to do it too.

I had a fuel injected Volvo a number of years ago that would flood itself once or twice a winter when starting. Once it got flooded you just couldn't get the thing to run.

I found out a later a simple trick was just to remove the fuel pump fuse and then start the car. It would run for a second then starve out for fuel. In doing so it dried out the soggy plugs. Reinstall the FP fuse and the car would start right up next try. This was before engine ECUs so I am not sure it would work here but might be a simple experiment to try.