05 Radio Removal

jasperaxle

I am looing at buying the XM kit off ebay for my 05 LS. Has anyone ever taken the trim piece off (Bezel)? that is around the Radio/Nav screen? I dont want to damage it as it is $400 for a new one. Im wondering if it just pulls off or are there hidden screws. FYI it is a Levinson system with NAV. Thankspost-83136-1255988174_thumb.jpg

I haven't done it but it's a PITA. You have to remove all the components below it and then 2 10mm bolts that are behind the driver and passenger temperature controls; which are apparently a real !Removed! to get out.

I don't think you'll have to get that far though; the Vaistech units plug into the connector that's behind the CD changer; the XM unit might also work back there. You'll still need the 10mm hex wrench, a phillips head screwdriver, and something to pry the bottom panel out with. Takes about 15 min and not hard at all. You might also be able to plug it into one of the connectors in the trunk near the radio or the amp.

I am looing at buying the XM kit off ebay for my 05 LS. Has anyone ever taken the trim piece off (Bezel)? that is around the Radio/Nav screen? I dont want to damage it as it is $400 for a new one. Im wondering if it just pulls off or are there hidden screws. FYI it is a Levinson system with NAV. Thankspost-83136-1255988174_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't done it but it's a PITA. You have to remove all the components below it and then 2 10mm bolts that are behind the driver and passenger temperature controls; which are apparently a real !Removed! to get out.

I don't think you'll have to get that far though; the Vaistech units plug into the connector that's behind the CD changer; the XM unit might also work back there. You'll still need the 10mm hex wrench, a phillips head screwdriver, and something to pry the bottom panel out with. Takes about 15 min and not hard at all. You might also be able to plug it into one of the connectors in the trunk near the radio or the amp.

Yes, you were correct. I just finished installing the XM kit and the trim around the Nav did not have to be removed. If anyone is considering installing this XM aftermarket kit I highly suggest it. After it's in you would swear it was factory installed. All controls are done on the Nav screen just like the CD and Am/Fm radio. The antenna is small and can be mounted inside the third brake light. Below is a helpful link to removing what needs to be removed to complete the work.

P.S. In order for this kit to work I believe your system has to be XM/Sirius ready= i.e. Head unit has to have a "AM/SAT button"

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/LX-52-01-p1.pdf