Making Rims / Tires Work/ For Winter.....

beachlover

OK Toronto, Canada here, snow is gonna be flying soon. So I want to get some snow tires, but I'm hoping to use extra rims I have from a 1999 Olds Aurora. The rims do fit, but the 235 60 R 16 tire touches the strut. So can I use these rims, and what size tires would work? And I've been thinking, with snow, would I want a tire a bit wider to have more surface area on the snow, or would I want a narrower tire to put more weight onto the surface area? Any thoughts, even on just this concept? I'm not at all concerned about the speedometer being off....

I bought snow tires mounted on nice Alloy rims for my ES330 last year. The total cost was around $750 USD delivered. I would stick very close to the original size, I went up from a 215/60/16 to a 225/60/16. When buying snow tires I would not buy any with a "Q" speed rating as they will be to squirmy on your SUV. You probably already have looked on tirerack.com but if not, go on a read the reviews and ratings for each. As to the Oldsmobile rims, I had not idea they would fit a Lexus.

For travel on snow, narrower is better. A wide, low-profile tire is its own worst enemy in snow. The following link provides a brief discussion from Tire Rack regarding tire size selection for snow conditions. Tire Rack Discussion on snow tire size

Makes some sense. But do you see the other argument? That narrow may push less surface snow for going forward. But it pushes more snow depth wise. Also, for stopping, wouldn't wider, more surface, be better? Think of extremes, if your RX was on tires as narrow as a bicycles. Wouldn't travel in the snow too good now would it? And snowmobiles/tracked vehicles perform well in snow, and that's like the biggest tire you can get (extreme again). I'm not saying that narrow is the wrong answer, I'm just trying to look at all sides of the argument....