How Important Is It To Replace The Timing Belt At 90k

bstew

Hi, I'm a new member with a new(new to me) 2002 - SC430.

In looking through the owners maintenance manual, I see the timing belt should be replaced at 90,000 miles. Mine has 80,000 on it and am wondering whether or not this should be done on schedule, how much will it cost and what happens if the old one fails while the engine is running.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I replaced the timing belt on my 03 myself, but then I do all my mechanic work. Would not recommend it for the average tinkerer....

My first replacement was at 120k and the belt looked fine, the car now has 205k and I will probably replace again at 250K. The timing belts on these cars are much wider and stronger than most timing belt engines. When you decide to have it replaced, go to the Toyota dealer or a local garage, which is much much cheaper....

I replaced the timing belt on my 03 myself, but then I do all my mechanic work. Would not recommend it for the average tinkerer....

My first replacement was at 120k and the belt looked fine, the car now has 205k and I will probably replace again at 250K. The timing belts on these cars are much wider and stronger than most timing belt engines. When you decide to have it replaced, go to the Toyota dealer or a local garage, which is much much cheaper....

Thank you for the info

I also just bought an '02 with 84k miles. Since the recommendation was 90k or six years, I felt I should have the TB changed to feel safe with a new to me car. I carried it to Lexus dealer. They replaced TB for $570 and gave me a free loaner car. I was pleased with their work and felt the price was competitive. More importantly, there is a record of the work in the Lexus database of the maintenance. This should help when I get ready to sell it. If you go to https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home and register, you can retrieve repair records done by Lexus for your VIN.