Rx300 White Smoke

Jeffstpetebeach

Hello,

I have read the threads on the white smoke issues. Heres some data on the RX 143,000 miles runs great, mileage is good around 18 mpg in the city. About a month ago just replace both o2 sensors, I change the oil every 3000 miles, just did it on Wednesday of this week, In 3000 miles I consumed aboout 1/2 to 3/4 qt of oil, not to bad for a 1999 with 143k on it. But when I start out yesterday I got about 5 seconds of a very light white smoke, and a little gas smell to. I have read it might be the ECM??? I know the first thing to done is ask for help :) I check the pvc valve and gets good, air goes though it and it makes a little rattle noise. So where do I start looking or do. Do I put some injector cleaner in. I hope you guys will help me out on this problem. Thanks again

Jeff

White smoke is usually a sign that you're burning water... head gasket, cracked head or block. There are probably some less ominous explanations. Look for water in the oil or vice versa. Usually streaks of gray on the dipstick and also on the inside of your the oil filler cap. Once it's cool. you can look in the rad filler tank. You might see oil floating in the water, smell exhaust and the cap might pop off a bitt. Use all brecaution when you remove the cap.

Regards, PK

White smoke is usually a sign that you're burning water... head gasket, cracked head or block. There are probably some less ominous explanations. Look for water in the oil or vice versa. Usually streaks of gray on the dipstick and also on the inside of your the oil filler cap. Once it's cool. you can look in the rad filler tank. You might see oil floating in the water, smell exhaust and the cap might pop off a bitt. Use all brecaution when you remove the cap.

Regards, PK

Thanks PK

I just check the items you suggested. The coolant looks good, No signs of oil. I mark the res tank yesterday And just checked it, I only drove 15 miles today. The engine is cool and its at the same mark, right at the top of the Denso logo. The oil looks good too. should I go ahead and drain and replace the oil? If you have any other ideas Im all ears. Thanks again for the reply

Jeff

Thanks PK

I just check the items you suggested. The coolant looks good, No signs of oil. I mark the res tank yesterday And just checked it, I only drove 15 miles today. The engine is cool and its at the same mark, right at the top of the Denso logo. The oil looks good too. should I go ahead and drain and replace the oil? If you have any other ideas Im all ears. Thanks again for the reply

Jeff

Jeff, I doubt that it is leaking coolant into the cylinder if there is no coolant in the oil and no pressurization of the cooling system and no lose of coolant. I have noticed on my DIL's RX and even my wife's '02 Camry with 55k mi on it that there is a very small continued lose of coolant over time. I have never figured where it goes, but the lose is very small. One way to find if there is moisture in the cylinder (not easy on the rear cylinders) is run it just a little while, maybe a minute or a little more, just enough to get it warmed up about half way to normal. This can be all the way to normal, just harder working around a hot engine. Then quickly pull the COP's and plugs 1 by 1 and hold a small make-up mirror right over the plug hole. If it fogs up. you have moisture in that cylinder, no fog on mirror, no moisture. The mirror will fog immediately if there is heat and moisture. Kinda hard to get the rear ones out quick enough to check 'em though. We bought the Camry new and there is no sign of any leak internal or external and it has done it pretty much since new.

Jeff, have you ever checked or had checked your front valve area for sludge? Meaning removed the valve cover and physically checked. Not saying it's that, just curious.