Steering Rack Solenoid Filter Screen

Edgar Picazo

Hi Edgar,

My '92 Repair Manual says that if any component on the control valve assembly is defective, the entire unit should be replaced. It does not show any procedures to clean the filter, although there are several threads on this forum that show exactly how to do that. The bad news is that after following several of these threads on PS systems, I have not yet read of anyone replacing the filter in the control valve assembly (the part that houses the pressure control solenoid).

So, if you do figure a way to fix or fabricate one, it would be very welcome on this forum, I'm sure. Maybe you could find a pressure control assembly from a salvage yard(?) Sorry I could not offer any more helpful information.

B)

• 1 month later...

No one sells these by themselfs. They do not even have a part number that I know of. In the past I have tried to get junk yards to sell me one by doing a parts requist over the internet. However, I have never gotten a responce.

The only way I can think of getting one is from a parts yard that lets you pull your own part and hope they don't care that you are taking it off the rack. Why? Becouse no one in the know will buy the rack without it attached.

Apparently you cant buy just the solenoid either. I cant find it listed anywhere for sale.

I just finished cleaning the screen on my 91 LS400 and it was pretty soiled, but its still hard to steer. I (we) dont hear the clicking of the solenoid when the switch is turned on... I guess its bad. Oh well.... just my luck. Anyone have a sledgehammer? <_<

Best wishes Edgar. Hope you get get it sorted out.