Leaky High Pressure Hose? Still Have A Bad Leak!

90LS400Lexus

Update #50.... ;)

Got the return hose off. Man, it looked easy, but was a PITN! Its a tight area unless you remove the air filter housing, but I managed to get it off. The hose was so hard and dry it just crumbled and I had a hard time getting it off of the nipple on the reservoir. I had to end up cutting the hose behind the nipple, then fight to get the remains off of the nipple.

I simply bought 10 inches of 3/8 hose at an auto parts store. They had a listing for a return line for a LS400, but it was $11., which is cheap, but he said the regular hose would be fine and it was only 1.90.

I got everything cleaned back up AGAIN, as this made a terrible mess as all of the fluid came out of the reservoir. I started it, turned the wheel several times, let it run for about 15 minutes and NO leaks - at least so far. I am going to go out in about 3 hours and check it again and then I will know, because it had been leakin within a few minutes. The steering turns so much easier now and the shudder is gone. :huh:

I will report back later.... I HOPE and pray to the good Lord above this solves the problem!

Congratulations buddy! :cheers: See what happens when you put your mind to it! You do us proud!

Think'n ya might be able to enjoy your LS now? lol

Congratulations buddy! :cheers: See what happens when you put your mind to it! You do us proud!

Think'n ya might be able to enjoy your LS now? lol

lol. Thanks! Yeah, I hope so. Hopefully nothing else will break. I never dreamed that hose was leaking. It had been leaking for a long time... at least two years, but it kept getting worse. I thought it was the actual pump, which is why I put it off. Its going to feel SO NICE to not have to see drips under the car, add fluid or see smoke billowing out from the back when I 1st start it. :)

I am amazed at how hard and brittle that hose was. I will have to snap a photo when I go back out and post it. It just crumbled when I tried to bend it. It wasnt even leaking at the end, it was leaking at the "bend" of the hose. I hope things like the fuel lines on these cars hold up better than that. They must, I have not heard of many engine fires on these cars. :)

Thanks again!

Any hose under your hood will dry out, the heat put out under the hood cooks everything. Fuel hoses are high pressure and therefore hold up better, but coolant lines are your next thing to look at. The cooling system on the 1UZ is actually stupid, there's a port on the back side of the engine on either side that runs coolant through the EGR valve, idle air valve, and throttle body, and each joint from hose to line is suspect. When you replace your starter you'll break a few of them. I deleted the throttle body cooling and the EGR system completely on mine, allowing for just a single hose from each side. The less joints, the less likely a leak.

Any hose under your hood will dry out, the heat put out under the hood cooks everything. Fuel hoses are high pressure and therefore hold up better, but coolant lines are your next thing to look at. The cooling system on the 1UZ is actually stupid, there's a port on the back side of the engine on either side that runs coolant through the EGR valve, idle air valve, and throttle body, and each joint from hose to line is suspect. When you replace your starter you'll break a few of them. I deleted the throttle body cooling and the EGR system completely on mine, allowing for just a single hose from each side. The less joints, the less likely a leak.

Thanks. Do these cars have a "hotter running" engine, or about average to other cars? I know some 4-cyls will run hotter. Both of my early 70s GM cars still have several of the original hoses in the engine bay and they are still soft and pliable and in good condition. Most are vac lines though, but the old big V8s seem to run cooler.

5 hours later and no leaks! I hope it stays that way!

#51 - I started it again and moved the steering from side to side, side to side and still no leaks. Obviously it was that hose. Had I known that, I would have changed it two years ago.

Here are some pics... its still nasty looking, because with what I had to clean with, but it was enough to get rid of most of the wet fluid that had pooled up.

The new hose and the areas were I was seeing drips is now dry....

015-2.jpg

the old hose was hard as a rock...

019.jpg

re-routed vac line....

031-1.jpg

plugged idle-up valve...

033-2.jpg

no fresh drips...

039-1.jpg

Now my car needs a good wash and wax! Its has moss growing on it and grease, or should I say transmission fluid... :rolleyes:

075.jpg

062.jpg

051.jpg

059-1.jpg

I am hoping this is the end of this issue, as least for awhile.

Thanks for all of the replies and advice!

Well done! Excellent perseverance through to the end. Now get her cleaned up, she's looks a little ragged. A spa for her is in order.

Thanks. Well, I actually drove the car about 45 miles today- still no leaks at all, so it was definitely that hose. Like I said, I wish I had of know it was that simple, I would have changed it along time ago! ;)

Well.... I still have that "shudder / vibration" sensation through the steering wheel on some low speed turns (which was even doing before the plugged idle-up valve). I can also hear it, but its faint... its kinda like a flutter. I am guessing it could be either the screens are dirty on the pump and/or rack, OR there could be air in the lines, etc. I have really not seen this mentioned by anyone else being an issue before.

YES, she is definitely getting a bath on Sunday evening as soon as I get a chance! :)

Well done! Excellent perseverance through to the end. Now get her cleaned up, she's looks a little ragged. A spa for her is in order.

Thanks. Definitely about the spa! LOL. Got her washed really well today and waxed this evening... it was cloudy and only around 65°, so it was perfect to wax a car....

008-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

011-2.jpg

016-4.jpg

and no leaks! :)

015-3.jpg

before

075.jpg

after

014.jpg