Re And Re Of Rain Sensor For New Windshield

DonZ

I just purchased my 06 GX a week ago and got a fracture on the windshield from a pebble. It grew so I will replace the windshield. I got a quote of $260. Cdn. installed for an aftermarket one - making the OEM replacement too expensive at over $1000..

I am wondering what proceedure is involed in removing the rain sensor for the wipers and replacing it on the new glass? What type of adhesive should be used by the glass company installing it if they are not sure? AAlso, where is the radio antenna?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

• 2 months later...
I just purchased my 06 GX a week ago and got a fracture on the windshield from a pebble. It grew so I will replace the windshield. I got a quote of $260. Cdn. installed for an aftermarket one - making the OEM replacement too expensive at over $1000..

I am wondering what proceedure is involed in removing the rain sensor for the wipers and replacing it on the new glass? What type of adhesive should be used by the glass company installing it if they are not sure? AAlso, where is the radio antenna?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

How's the new windshield working out for you? Aftermarket or OEM?

thanks.

With regards to the Radio Antenna..there is no such antenna on all GX models Front Windscreen. but they are on the Quarter Window both LH and RH side and the antenna are Glass Embedded.

Now coming to your Rain Sensor removal, if you watch the unit from inside, there are two claws either side , release them and remove the rain sensor cover. There is a stopper from the below side, pull out the stopper and release the lock. ( give only a slight pressure to pull the lock downward action) Now disconnect the harness connectpr and remove the rain sensor. There is no adhesive but you could go to your nearest spare part dealer and ask for a Rain Sensor tape. This normally has two side tape. The yellow side to be peeled first and attach the rain sensor ( the sensor part of the rain sensor). Give a hard press to release all the bubbless or air beneath the sticker. Now peel the other white side. This is made of silicone, ensure no finger to touch this sticker. Ensure B4 you stick the glass to wiped clean of any dust .

Important Note:- Make sure you have a small air blower to blow of any dust settles on the sensor. You can clean with a soft cloth.

Now make sure the Claw is in open position . Gradully attach the rain sensor to the glassand prevent in air bubbles in between. . And have the harness connected. Now push in the stopper and have it locked. Thats it.

The only pain is that while you are seated on the driver seat you may to stretch out a bit to do this job for around 15 minutes to do it carefully.

With regards to the Radio Antenna..there is no such antenna on all GX models Front Windscreen. but they are on the Quarter Window both LH and RH side and the antenna are Glass Embedded.

Now coming to your Rain Sensor removal, if you watch the unit from inside, there are two claws either side , release them and remove the rain sensor cover. There is a stopper from the below side, pull out the stopper and release the lock. ( give only a slight pressure to pull the lock downward action) Now disconnect the harness connectpr and remove the rain sensor. There is no adhesive but you could go to your nearest spare part dealer and ask for a Rain Sensor tape. This normally has two side tape. The yellow side to be peeled first and attach the rain sensor ( the sensor part of the rain sensor). Give a hard press to release all the bubbless or air beneath the sticker. Now peel the other white side. This is made of silicone, ensure no finger to touch this sticker. Ensure B4 you stick the glass to wiped clean of any dust .

Important Note:- Make sure you have a small air blower to blow of any dust settles on the sensor. You can clean with a soft cloth.

Now make sure the Claw is in open position . Gradully attach the rain sensor to the glassand prevent in air bubbles in between. . And have the harness connected. Now push in the stopper and have it locked. Thats it.

The only pain is that while you are seated on the driver seat you may to stretch out a bit to do this job for around 15 minutes to do it carefully.

Thanks for the great tip, Mann777. I've learned a lot from you folks. By the way, its recommended that a new rain sensor tape should be put on after the windshield is replaced. Be sure to ask the glass installer if they will replace a new one. If not, you may want to spend $20-$30 for one. The part number is: 89944-50010

I've attached a copy of the rain sensor tape instructions with illustration and instructions as well. Its directly from a Lexus dealer. Hope that helps.

GX470_Rain_Sensor_Install_Tips.pdf