Tire Comparison Cost

taonemayvt

I have 04 GX470. I called Raleigh Lexus Dealer for 4 set of Michelin Cross Terrain. The cost is $1235 out of door to replace 4 tires (include balance and alignment). The cost for a set of 4 tire Michelin Latitude Tour at Sam's club is $885 (no aligment and after $70 rebate). The cost for Bridgestone DUELER H/T 840 at Sam is ~ $750. I currently have Bridgestone DUELER H/T 840 and happy with it. I can come back to Sam club for FREE rotation and balance any time after purchase their tires.

Please tell me your experience on these tires....Do I need alignment for new set tires? I live in Raleigh, NC. Not much of snow but some ice...Is Michelin Latitude Tour right for this truck?

thanks for your feedback...

I have 04 GX470. I called Raleigh Lexus Dealer for 4 set of Michelin Cross Terrain. The cost is $1235 out of door to replace 4 tires (include balance and alignment). The cost for a set of 4 tire Michelin Latitude Tour at Sam's club is $885 (no aligment and after $70 rebate). The cost for Bridgestone DUELER H/T 840 at Sam is ~ $750. I currently have Bridgestone DUELER H/T 840 and happy with it. I can come back to Sam club for FREE rotation and balance any time after purchase their tires.

Please tell me your experience on these tires....Do I need alignment for new set tires? I live in Raleigh, NC. Not much of snow but some ice...Is Michelin Latitude Tour right for this truck?

thanks for your feedback...

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with Michelin tires. I would never put new tires on without an alignment. Keeping your vehicle aligned and the tires balanced and rotated will extend the life of the tire by as much as 50%.

I use to live in Raleigh too (Apex) until this past February when I was transferred to sh*tcago. I've got your cousin vehicle, a V8 4runner. You can't go wrong with Michelins, but you can go wrong with the dealership. Contact Merchant tires or Discount Tire instead of the dealership. I replaced the ORIGINAL Michelins on my 4runner (70k miles +/- at that time) in February before making the drive up here. I paid about $750 for them from Merchant Tire, which includes the free balance and rotation service for life. They can align it for you too. I didn't have to replace the original tires, as they had probably 25%-30% of the tread left, but considering what we were moving too, and the time of year, I didn't want to take the chance.

Go with Michelins.....don't go the dealer route (unless this is a business vehicle and it's a write-off). What color is your GX?

PS: Michelins are about the only tire I've come across that don't transmit any more sound into the cabin from driving on concrete (540) to blacktop. They're very quite, have one of the lowest roll-over ratings, last forever, and simply are the perfect tire for the vehicle. I've read other posts on the 4runner site of folks getting other brands (Bridgstone, etc), and all seem to be replacing them around the 40k mark. That alone, justifies the cost of Michelins.

I ordered 4 tires of Michelin Latitude Tour at Discount Tire. This tires are out of stock even at Michelin dealer. Discount tire has to back up order for Latitude for me. Discount tire offered me Cross Terrain for same cost...I compared 2 tires: almost the same for every thing except TREADWEAR GRADE (720 on Latitude and 420 on Cross Terrain). But both of them rate for 65K mile warranty. I talked to the rep about this. He said that it does NOT matter the number because both of them rate for 65K mile. I am kind of confuse....Any advise will help me to make decision.

I use to live in Raleigh too (Apex) until this past February when I was transferred to sh*tcago. I've got your cousin vehicle, a V8 4runner. You can't go wrong with Michelins, but you can go wrong with the dealership. Contact Merchant tires or Discount Tire instead of the dealership. I replaced the ORIGINAL Michelins on my 4runner (70k miles +/- at that time) in February before making the drive up here. I paid about $750 for them from Merchant Tire, which includes the free balance and rotation service for life. They can align it for you too. I didn't have to replace the original tires, as they had probably 25%-30% of the tread left, but considering what we were moving too, and the time of year, I didn't want to take the chance.

Go with Michelins.....don't go the dealer route (unless this is a business vehicle and it's a write-off). What color is your GX?

PS: Michelins are about the only tire I've come across that don't transmit any more sound into the cabin from driving on concrete (540) to blacktop. They're very quite, have one of the lowest roll-over ratings, last forever, and simply are the perfect tire for the vehicle. I've read other posts on the 4runner site of folks getting other brands (Bridgstone, etc), and all seem to be replacing them around the 40k mark. That alone, justifies the cost of Michelins.

Thanks for your feedback...Was $750 for out of door or just tires? I (actually my wife drive) have kind of gold color (don't know exactly term). Is Merchant Tire good to deal with?

I am looking at new tires for my 04 GX as well. It sounds like you guys are recommending the Latitudes or Cross Terrarin. How about the LTX M/S. Any experience. I use the the veh for hwy driving, so i don't care about an offroad tire.

Sorry, I've missed this thread.... It was about $750 out the door.

I bought the cross terrains, they seem to be the ones that last forever! Very quiet on the road. Really, can't go wrong with them. They've also got the lowest rollover risk rating, and I can vouch for them being excellent in the rain, which was very important to me.

I agree with the others.....Michelin's are an excellent choice & yes definately get an alignment when you get a new set of rubber installed. Stay clear of the dealership when purchasing tires.

:cheers:

I agree with the others.....Michelin's are an excellent choice & yes definately get an alignment when you get a new set of rubber installed. Stay clear of the dealership when purchasing tires.

:cheers:

The Michelin Lattitude tires are absolutely the best. Much quieter and the contro at high speeds is very apparent. Also, they are extremely quiet compared the factory cross terrain tires. I will be buying these again.

Let us know how the Latitudes are! I'm curious and especially how many miles they will go. I'm at 54k miles on my Cross Terrains and the tire shop told me I have a good (maximum stretch) of 40k miles on these left. :rolleyes: :o

I don't know about the latitudes....but the cross ter's are more then plenty quiet and smooth for me, and last for probably 80k miles, assuming you keep things aligned and rotated properly. For the prices of Michelins...the longer they last, the cheaper they are!