2000 Es300; D/s Rear View Mirror Glass Cracked

tedp

Mirror (glass only...not entire assembly) looks like it "overheated" (a section of glass is missing). Could it be possible that it actually did overheat? If so, does this indicate the need to replace the entire assembly? Or is it possible to replace just the glass/heater? Also I would just like to thank you all for your posts...I have great success following some your advice including cleaning the IACV and changing the top drive belt...any suggestions regarding parts and/or replacement procedures would be greatly appreciated. I will try to post an image of the mirror.

The simplest repair is to replace just the mirror glass, and is a common repair. Usually you take a piece of paper and trace the outline shape of the actual mirror glass, take it to a glass shop, and have them recut a replacement. Make sure that they understand that you need the thinnest mirror that they can source. You then break out the remaining broken pieces, use lots of silicone seal over the plastic backing plate of the mirror assembly, press and centre the new mirror onto the backing plate, and masking tape well the new mirror in place. Let the silicone set for 24 hours before removing the tape. You most likely will lose the mirror heating ability of the mirror, due to the thickness of the silicone and the loss of the heater grid from the back of the original mirror glass, but the price will be right.

To maintain your mirror heater ability, you will most likely have to replace the entire mirror assembly, costly, particularly if you have to paint it to match your car. Then again you might find a correctly painted mirror in a wrecking yard. I've repaired several mirrors as explained above with great success. Good Luck

The simplest repair is to replace just the mirror glass, and is a common repair. Usually you take a piece of paper and trace the outline shape of the actual mirror glass, take it to a glass shop, and have them recut a replacement. Make sure that they understand that you need the thinnest mirror that they can source. You then break out the remaining broken pieces, use lots of silicone seal over the plastic backing plate of the mirror assembly, press and centre the new mirror onto the backing plate, and masking tape well the new mirror in place. Let the silicone set for 24 hours before removing the tape. You most likely will lose the mirror heating ability of the mirror, due to the thickness of the silicone and the loss of the heater grid from the back of the original mirror glass, but the price will be right.

To maintain your mirror heater ability, you will most likely have to replace the entire mirror assembly, costly, particularly if you have to paint it to match your car. Then again you might find a correctly painted mirror in a wrecking yard. I've repaired several mirrors as explained above with great success. Good Luck

Thanks gbhrps! I will start looking for a glass shop...and get started my next day off.