1999 Ls 400 - Engine Shaking? Good Mechanic In Scottsdale/phx Area?

b8b

Hi All,

I sold the LS430 I used to have and recently bought a 1999 LS400 with 126k miles. The timing belt had been done, it had all the records and the Nav had even been updated to 9/2003 (lol). It had a slight shake in the steering wheel when I bought it but I thought that was just the alignment or tires out of balance. I got the tires balanced, but that did not fix it. I was jump starting my other car when I noticed that at various RPM's the engine was shaking like crazy, and that would shake the steering wheel (even when sitting still). Is this a simple motor mount issue or something worse? The engine sounds OK, but I am not certain, there is a slight belt squeek or something I am hearing.

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in Scottsdale/PHX area who won't rip me off because it is a Lexus? Perhaps even gives free estimates? :)

Thanks!

Is this a simple motor mount issue or something worse? The engine sounds OK, but I am not certain, there is a slight belt squeek or something I am hearing.
Motor mounts sound like a good starting point if the car is running strong. If you are thinking about tackling this yourself, here is a great thread to read before starting:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=13030&hl=

You'll probably want to change your transmission mount as well. It's cheaper (costs about $50) and easier (takes about 45 minutes) to change than the two motor mounts. My crushed transmission mount made my '99 have an out of balance tire feel at mid - highway speeds. The new mount fixed that vibration/shake.

You'll probably want to change your transmission mount as well. It's cheaper (costs about $50) and easier (takes about 45 minutes) to change than the two motor mounts. My crushed transmission mount made my '99 have an out of balance tire feel at mid - highway speeds. The new mount fixed that vibration/shake.

Thanks, Blake918! Did you do it yourself then? How do you determine if it is just transmission mounts or if it is Engine mounts as well? Repair places giving me high quotes and I am not so comfortable doing it myself :(

Now I am beginning to wonder if it is the transmission mount at all (it looked kind of OK to me, what do you think?), or if it is the engine mount. I have attached pictures, please let me know your your opinions are. Sorry, it was dark out, I don't have a jack, I had to put it up on a curb and crawl underneath:

post-57972-1253595737_thumb.jpg

post-57972-1253595743_thumb.jpg

post-57972-1253595747_thumb.jpg

Here are some pics of the front right engine bushing, I can't tell at all from this angle:

post-57972-1253595688_thumb.jpg

post-57972-1253595706_thumb.jpg

And what is this leaking, does it matter? I was laid off my job in June and can't afford much anymore:

post-57972-1253595751_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your help!

guys ive noticed that my car shakes horribly if i punch it and am gettin up past 5k rpm. i also noticed while it was sitting still the engine shook some. i revved it to about 1.4k and noticed the engine is shaking. now do you think that the engine mounts/ tranny mounts could be causing my car to really shake at that high of an rpm? i do know the car does not idle as smooth and as it should since i first got it. im gonna clean the throttle body soon i noticed it was black when i took my intake off.

Thanks, Blake918! Did you do it yourself then? How do you determine if it is just transmission mounts or if it is Engine mounts as well? Repair places giving me high quotes and I am not so comfortable doing it myself :(
I changed my transmission mount myself. I had the mount sitting in a closet for years, and I finally decided to just change it one day for the hell of it(but I was hoping that it would cure a vibration that I had -- I read that it might.). I'm not sure of any definitive way in which you can trace a vibration back to one mount or the other, but from what I read on this forum, it seems like the most common trouble sign of the transmission mount is the out of balance tire feel, and a bad motor mount will make make the engine shake and you can feel it in the cabin through the steering wheel. Your motor should not be shaking, perhaps, there might be some damage to the mounts that we cannot see. Does it feel like it's missing or is it running fine? What do they want to change the motor mounts? $600-$700?

Here are my new and old transmission mounts:

post-1461-1253741106_thumb.jpg

And what is this leaking, does it matter? I was laid off my job in June and can't afford much anymore:
Is it motor oil or P/S fluid? Looks to be motor oil, unless someone put p/s fluid in your car instead of dexron.

I'm not sure of any definitive way in which you can trace a vibration back to one mount or the other, but from what I read on this forum, it seems like the most common trouble sign of the transmission mount is the out of balance tire feel, and a bad motor mount will make make the engine shake and you can feel it in the cabin through the steering wheel. Your motor should not be shaking, perhaps, there might be some damage to the mounts that we cannot see. Does it feel like it's missing or is it running fine? What do they want to change the motor mounts? $600-$700?

Is it motor oil or P/S fluid? Looks to be motor oil, unless someone put p/s fluid in your car instead of dexron.

I was quoted $150 plus parts from a repair guy off craigslist, I was going to check with one other. The parts are $104 each for the engine and only $38 for the tranny, OEM, plus $17 shipping.

I am not sure about the fluid, it doesn't leak oil in the garage so I have no idea.

My GS's engine shakes the entire car when I come to a stop with the a/c off (idle speed of 500 rpms). I turn on the a/c (which kicks up the idle speed to about 700 rpms), and it stops. Nothing about the manner in which the car operates suggests anything else but motor mounts. I've got approximately 58k miles on the car. Age is the enemy on mounts, not miles. Mine is an 01'. I've got the mounts (and an army of other new parts) waiting in the garage for me to find the time to do the repair.

I had to replace the mounts on my former 95' LS400 around 2004. What I did, was to buy them online (ie parts.com) and took them to a local garage. Infact, I believe it was a gas station garage. They charged me $75 each to install them ($150 total), and I never had a problem. The driver's side mount, is a mother to get at, and if you don't know what you're doing, you can smash your hand up there, as was nearly the case for the mechanic who changed mine on the LS. He had some busted up knuckles when he was done - about an hour later.

Motor mounts are one of those repairs that all cars face, so it's a pretty common repair. Therefore, I was ok with a local indi mechanic doing the work, instead of a more expensive Lexus mechanic. Other stuff though.....I'd be cautious. Not so sure how I feel about a guy off of craiglist....