2000 Lexus Rx300 A/c Evaporator

Pamelar

I was told by an auto repair shop today, that a 2000 Lexus RX300 A/C Evaporator would cost $400 and the labor $400, so total $800 to have my AC working again.

The fan works, one day it just quit blowing cold air. I didn't hear any odd noises or spewing sounds, etc.

Is this a normal cost for this repair? They said the dashboard would have to be taken off, to get to it.

Thanks

(The previous question I asked on this board, about my RPM's going up and my car not speeding up, was due to a faulty oxygen sensor. Having that repaired set me back $600.)

I was told by an auto repair shop today, that a 2000 Lexus RX300 A/C Evaporator would cost $400 and the labor $400, so total $800 to have my AC working again.

The fan works, one day it just quit blowing cold air. I didn't hear any odd noises or spewing sounds, etc.

Is this a normal cost for this repair? They said the dashboard would have to be taken off, to get to it.

Thanks

(The previous question I asked on this board, about my RPM's going up and my car not speeding up, was due to a faulty oxygen sensor. Having that repaired set me back $600.)

Pam- Seems a little bit high for the evaporator, and that's not a part that normally ever goes out, so I definitely would get a second opinion from someone who doesn't know the mechanic or that he gave you an estimate. Doesn't make sense that the evaporator would go out without you smelling anything or seeing anything in the car, since that's where the evaporator is. The labor cost is awfully cheap if he is going to remove the dash, change the evaporator and charge the system, all for $400. There's something not fully understood about this picture or there is something wrong with this picture. Just my opinion. Get another one from a competent mechanic, but don't tell him about the 1st. mechanic.

By the way, the statement about the RPM going up and the car not speeding up doesn't make sense either. How long have you known this mechanic?

I haven't ever used this mechanic before. The person who serviced it before, was a different shop.

Now that I think about it, there has been condensation (or something) building up on the inside of the windshield.....I know that has something to do with the heater core or something like that......I didn't connect the dots there.

I haven't ever used this mechanic before. The person who serviced it before, was a different shop.

Now that I think about it, there has been condensation (or something) building up on the inside of the windshield.....I know that has something to do with the heater core or something like that......I didn't connect the dots there.

True, you normally smell a sweet smell (with most anti freeze) when the HEATER CORE is leaking. Also, fog on the inside of the windows. The heater core and the evaporator are in the same area but obviously are not connected at all. One cool- one heat. You need a really competent and honest mechanic to give you an evaluation and estimate. Both problems are easy to diagnose. I assume your name is Pamela and that you are a woman. Seems like honest and competent mechanics are hard to come by and even more seem to take advantage of a woman. Maybe the 1st guy is OK, but things just aren't adding up. Good Luck!

• 8 months later...

I was just told my 2000 rx300 needs a new evaporator and they want $1800 at the Lexus Dealer