Problems With Shifting

faitai54

Hi, I have a problem with my 2001 Lexus R300, 2 Wheel drive (FWD).

White smoke spews intermittently from the tailpipe which is caused by burning oil. At the same time there is difficulty shifting in lower gears. I can hear the transmission making noise at this time also. On the higher gears it shifts fine and there is also no smoke coming from the tailpipe.

I'd also like to mention that the car only has 33,000 miles on it, and the check engine light isn't coming on.

It seems to me that the smoke and the shifting problems are related. Does anyone know anything about this problem?

-Fai

p.s. would a bad pcv valve cause oil got sucked into the intake and burned, and at the same time causes the manifold vacuum to drop, and reduces the transmission

line pressure,resulting in hard shifting in lower gear?

Hi, I have a problem with my 2001 Lexus R300, 2 Wheel drive (FWD).

White smoke spews intermittently from the tailpipe which is caused by burning oil. At the same time there is difficulty shifting in lower gears. I can hear the transmission making noise at this time also. On the higher gears it shifts fine and there is also no smoke coming from the tailpipe.

I'd also like to mention that the car only has 33,000 miles on it, and the check engine light isn't coming on.

It seems to me that the smoke and the shifting problems are related. Does anyone know anything about this problem?

-Fai

I can't really help. except to mention that white smoke usually means water, and black smoke usually means oil.

Paul Cl,

Sorry I have take issue. I've always understood it to be, white is water, but black is a car running to rich (you'd have a cel to) blueish in-fact is oil. I probably should know, I had owned, rebuilt and maintained some 25 cars by the time I was...25. I can think of many examples of all 3 symptoms ...I think I may have had a car that suffered all 3.

Fai54, If your transmission is making a racket it could be tearing itself apart. get it into a shop. These transmissions are prone to all sorts ofproblems. Mine wint at 70k and now at 80 it' acting weird.

Regards, pk