Steering Column Clunk Sounds In 2000 Ls 400

franck

franck,

Best of luck to you too and I hope you're able to resolve this problem once and for all. I intend to have mine done at some point over the next month or so. By the way, I would really appreciate it if you would post some information on the bushings you've replaced and whether you went with OEM parts or aftermarket (which I understand are stiffer/harder). I am also considering replacing the strut mounts as the initial impact of some bumps seems simply too jarring to me. Not sure, however, if my limited knowledge of suspension systems would make this a waste of money.

amcdonal86, why did you replace the strut mounts and do you think replacing them would address the problem I'm having?

Thanks in advance for everybody's help.

For vfr: I replaced sway bar bushings; strut rod bushings; strut rods. All OEM parts. Work done by my independent mechanic.

Talk to you after Monday next.

franck,

Best of luck to you too and I hope you're able to resolve this problem once and for all. I intend to have mine done at some point over the next month or so. By the way, I would really appreciate it if you would post some information on the bushings you've replaced and whether you went with OEM parts or aftermarket (which I understand are stiffer/harder). I am also considering replacing the strut mounts as the initial impact of some bumps seems simply too jarring to me. Not sure, however, if my limited knowledge of suspension systems would make this a waste of money.

amcdonal86, why did you replace the strut mounts and do you think replacing them would address the problem I'm having?

Thanks in advance for everybody's help.

For vfr: I replaced sway bar bushings; strut rod bushings; strut rods. All OEM parts. Work done by my independent mechanic.

Talk to you after Monday next.

For vft: I had the intermediate steering column replaced at a Lexus dealer. Remainder of clunk/rattle sounds were gone on the ride home. Im looking forward to seeing if they're gone today. The Lexus dealer, BTW, said the intermediate steering column was loose and noisy; he kept to his quoted price ($285 for the part; $300 for labor). I'm cautiously happy (until I drive car for a week and see if the clunks come back). Yesterday, after column repaired, the ride felt new and solid.

Hope you have as good an experience addressing your clunk noises. Best, franck

franck, thanks for your message and glad to hear the problem appears to be resolved. I'll post results of my repair(s) once they're done.

vfr: intermediate steering column shaft working well; no new clunk sounds.

• 2 years later...

I know this issue was talked about sometime ago but I have the same problem. I had many people look @ it and myself under the car and inside the car at the fire wall. The part numbers are: 4526050060 the lower shaft. 4520950010 this is the sliding yoke were it connects to the rack. 297.00 for both parts. OEM os course. I have had this for years and will do this once I get rid of the shemmy I get @ highway speeds from bent rims... I just did the sayway bushings and strut bars. Car feels real good so I'm looking forward to doing the rims and the column. Long live the last of the 400!

2000 LS400 Platinum.

• 3 years later...

REPOST FROM ANOTHER TOPIC!

I would like to make a substantial contribution to this and lots of other posts about mysterious clunks in LS400-LS430 vehicles.

As you all guys know there were numerous attempts to identify the actual location and cause for major clunk and squeaking sounds coming "Somewhere" from the wheel area. We have all went through replacing bunch of parts with no success to fix the problem.

I have to say that I finally found what is the most probably cause for these clunks. Go to your mechanics and replace front left wheel hub and front right wheel hub. You will be amazed how quiet your car becomes. It is really unbelievable how simple the problem was.