Clicking Noise With No Start

1992LexiLS400

Hey everyone I need some help. 92 LS000/200k... I went on about a 2 and half hour road trip and as soon as i got back into town(luckily) my cd player and dashboard seemed to lose power... hmm... then my car suddenly dies on me a few moments later at a stop sign right in front of my buddy's house. I try to restart and all i hear is a CLICKING NOISE. My buddy gives me a jump that takes over 5 minute and my car starts. As soon as i get home in front of my house and stop the car dies again.

The next day thinking that I could just charge my battery up and make it all the way to AUTOZONE to get my batt checked my car dies down the street. So i get another jump and barely make it back to my house before it dies again. Still thinking that "i just need a new battery" I put a new one in and it starts just as it should for about 2 days but didnt start on the 3rd day . Now my focus turns to my alternator which i didn't suspect at first because it is under 3 years old on casual driving mileage.

So I remove my alternator and have it checked at 2 different car part stores and IT PASSES AT BOTH. If my alternators still good and my battery is brand new, then what is my problem? Any suggestions on what I can DIY would be greatly appreciated

Sounds like bad wiring.

If the alternator is truly OK, that is it can deliver full load of 600-700 watts then it is OK. Just seeing if it puts out +12V (actually more like 13.5VDC) but no current is not a valid test. You need +12VDC and at least 20-30 Amps of load (ideally up to power limit of alternator) to confirm operation.

Look for a loose wire or corrossion at battery and all connections along the beefy wires between the alternator all the way to the battery posts. Then check grounds of battery to make sure it is a solid connection from post to chassis.

If you have a voltmeter measure DC voltage from (+) post of battery to charging terminal of alternator with engine running. Use clips and install before you start engine so you're not trying to probe around moving parts. Reading should be near zero to indicate there is little to no voltage drop across this path. If it is higher that 0.2Volts you have some loose or corroded connections

Try same thing with (-) post of battery to case of alternator. Again a reading of >0.2VDC indicates a drop along the wiring indicative of a poor connection.