Any Preventive Maintenance For Air Conditioner?

trips1

I have 99K miles on my 01 RX300. I never remember getting anything serviced in the AS since the time i bought it at 60K.

I never used to use too much of air conditioner but this time I am using AC much more.

Can someone in this knowledgeable group let me know if there is anything that needs to be checked/serviced as part of preventive maintenance. Or any fluid that i should get checked/changed.

I see all the coupons in the newspaper for AC service/check,etc for 40-50$. Don't want to get ripped and so thought it fit to check on this forum.

Thanks.

Trips.

I can think of only three things. First, run the A/C system for a few minutes every couple of months during winter, to let the A/C oil circulate and keep the o-rings that seal the connections flexible so they won't leak.

Second, replace the cabin air filter (behind the glove box) every couple of years, to allow for better air flow after that filter catches interior dirt and stuff. I got mine at Autozone.

Third, check the drive belt on occasion that turns the compressor and replace if it starts cracking a lot.

If it starts blowing warmer air, it may be time to check freon, but that could be a long time.

All that A/C service will do is check belts, check the amount of freon (maybe) and check that cold air is coming out. If things are working, no need to pay for that (IMHO).

I can think of only three things. First, run the A/C system for a few minutes every couple of months during winter, to let the A/C oil circulate and keep the o-rings that seal the connections flexible so they won't leak.

Second, replace the cabin air filter (behind the glove box) every couple of years, to allow for better air flow after that filter catches interior dirt and stuff. I got mine at Autozone.

Third, check the drive belt on occasion that turns the compressor and replace if it starts cracking a lot.

If it starts blowing warmer air, it may be time to check freon, but that could be a long time.

All that A/C service will do is check belts, check the amount of freon (maybe) and check that cold air is coming out. If things are working, no need to pay for that (IMHO).

DG- If you run your defrost in the winter, you are running the A/C. They have been wired that way for many many years. Actually, cold air will defrost the windshield about as well as warm, unless you're dealing with ice or heavy frost. If you turn defrost on to clear the inside of the windshield, it will be cleared before the heat ever comes online. Not talking about frozen stuff on the outside of the windshield.

Good point about the defrost - I'd forgotten about that. I'm in the Dallas area, so we seem to run the A/C a lot in winter anyway. But the defroster's use of A/C pays off when trying to remove humidity, like during a rainstorm, to help clear the windshield, so serves to "cycle" the A/C. Thanks for the reminder.