About To Start The Overhall

Ok fellas, my schedule is clearing for a couple of weeks, starting next week. This is the time I have set aside to spend some time on the GS to shake off the 8 years it has under it's belt already. This is going to include new plugs, new brakes, new motor mounts, new lower ball joints, new cooling sensor, hopefully a cleaning of the intake, and possibly the cleaning of the idle control valve. All oem, of course. But, got two questions:

1) The idle control valve - I read the RX thread about how those guys get to and clean theirs. Does the 430 engine have one as well? If so, any insight as to where it is, tricks to get at it, and such?

2) Anyone cleaned the throttle body of a 430 engine? I assume I'll need a new gasket.

3) Anyone replaced the cooling sensor on the 430 engine?

I replaced the transmission mount a while back to hopefully address a shaking engine while at idle with the a/c off. When the a/c is on, the revs increase slightly and smooths it out. The mount didn't fix it, which is leading me to the idle control valve, dirty intake, and possible bad plug.

The car only has 58k miles. Mileage isn't the enemy on my car, but time is. Who ever had it before me simply didn't drive it all that much. I have the service history on the car though, always serviced at the Arlington Lexus dealership. I'm a bit surprised though no mention of the shaking "I have the tech notes too".

Thanks all! I'm simply going to park it in the garage for the next two weeks and take my time. Brakes are first - needs them badly!

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I'll be charting some new territory on this one then! I'll post up how it goes on the 430 engine when I'm done (or ranting like a barbie doll on fire!)

Ok fellas, my schedule is clearing for a couple of weeks, starting next week. This is the time I have set aside to spend some time on the GS to shake off the 8 years it has under it's belt already. This is going to include new plugs, new brakes, new motor mounts, new lower ball joints, new cooling sensor, hopefully a cleaning of the intake, and possibly the cleaning of the idle control valve. All oem, of course. But, got two questions:

1) The idle control valve - I read the RX thread about how those guys get to and clean theirs. Does the 430 engine have one as well? If so, any insight as to where it is, tricks to get at it, and such?

2) Anyone cleaned the throttle body of a 430 engine? I assume I'll need a new gasket.

3) Anyone replaced the cooling sensor on the 430 engine?

I replaced the transmission mount a while back to hopefully address a shaking engine while at idle with the a/c off. When the a/c is on, the revs increase slightly and smooths it out. The mount didn't fix it, which is leading me to the idle control valve, dirty intake, and possible bad plug.

The car only has 58k miles. Mileage isn't the enemy on my car, but time is. Who ever had it before me simply didn't drive it all that much. I have the service history on the car though, always serviced at the Arlington Lexus dealership. I'm a bit surprised though no mention of the shaking "I have the tech notes too".

Thanks all! I'm simply going to park it in the garage for the next two weeks and take my time. Brakes are first - needs them badly!

i have cleaned the throttle body....but i didnt take it off. i just removed intake and cleaned inside it/around it/on it as well as i could IF u take it off get a new gasket.

look over these

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...s-is-great.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...n-your-maf.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...tml#post4772619

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/performanc...-revisited.html

Thanks Sakataj, I'll take a look at the threads! I didn't get to the car this past weekend. I had an impromptu visitor from back home come up for the weekend. We were too drunk to mess with it. I did, however, get a chance to look things over last night. I opened the hood (this being the 4th or 5th time doing that since I got the car), looked at it, and could figure out a damn thing! I want to change the plugs, but the passenger side bank is covered up by what I think is the trac system. It was a billion degrees in that garage, so I shut the hood, grabbed a beer, and walked inside. I'm really not looking forward to doing any of this anymore. They're is a growing sense inside of me to just drive this thing into the ground and not give a damn, then when it gets too bad, just get rid of it for something else. If I do go through with this, it'll be the last time I ever do it. I think my LS days broke me. The thought of having to jack up the car, replacing all the rotors, pads, shims, plugs, clean the throtte body, coolant temp sensor, AND THEN realizing the car needs to be clayed and waxed, is starting to simply sound like hell on earth to me. I wouldn't be suprised if you guys see me listing a whole slew of brand new oem parts on here for sale.

oh yeah...forgot the new motor mounts too....damn this thing.

Thanks Sakataj, I'll take a look at the threads! I didn't get to the car this past weekend. I had an impromptu visitor from back home come up for the weekend. We were too drunk to mess with it. I did, however, get a chance to look things over last night. I opened the hood (this being the 4th or 5th time doing that since I got the car), looked at it, and could figure out a damn thing! I want to change the plugs, but the passenger side bank is covered up by what I think is the trac system. It was a billion degrees in that garage, so I shut the hood, grabbed a beer, and walked inside. I'm really not looking forward to doing any of this anymore. They're is a growing sense inside of me to just drive this thing into the ground and not give a damn, then when it gets too bad, just get rid of it for something else. If I do go through with this, it'll be the last time I ever do it. I think my LS days broke me. The thought of having to jack up the car, replacing all the rotors, pads, shims, plugs, clean the throtte body, coolant temp sensor, AND THEN realizing the car needs to be clayed and waxed, is starting to simply sound like hell on earth to me. I wouldn't be suprised if you guys see me listing a whole slew of brand new oem parts on here for sale.

It's funny I was going to change all of the fluids on my Deuce and got them. Stripped 2 screws trying to get them out of the derby cover and I was like screw this. Called OC Harley and was like $100.00 I will be there. With my little guy running around and the wife gettng ready to have baby #2 I have other things that I would rather do then work on my cars or bike.

its brian and your welcome. yeah i need to change my tranny oil and engine/motor mounts and thats the only maint. im scheduled for at the moment. im up to date on everything besides shocks and that

It's funny I was going to change all of the fluids on my Deuce and got them. Stripped 2 screws trying to get them out of the derby cover and I was like screw this. Called OC Harley and was like $100.00 I will be there. With my little guy running around and the wife gettng ready to have baby #2 I have other things that I would rather do then work on my cars or bike.

that just means you have more money than you know what to do with lol.

• 2 months later...

Well, better late then never. I finally got the overhall done today. Spent all day yesterday doing the brakes and lower ball joints. Man, is that road salt some kind of freakin' evil on a car! New rotors & pads throughout, and from lower ball joints. Had the motor mounts done this past week. Spent today doing the spark plugs, cleaning out the throttle body, new fan belt, and a new coolant temp sensor. Results? Excellent!! Except for one thing..the front brakes.

After doing the first wheel "passenger side", I moved on to the next wheel "driver's side". There are four pads for the front. Two have these fitment springs attached to them, two don't. Realizing my error when installing the second wheel, I realized I put both pads with the seating springs on one wheel, and was forced to put the two that didn't have the springs on the driver's side. Pulled into the driveway a few minutes ago after my first test drive, and clearly heard a rythmic rubbing sound from somewhere. I can't tell if it's that passenger side wheel, or coming from the back "passenger side rear had the ebrake shoes dragging". Or, if there is simply some grease on the rotors that need to wear off.

Anyone know if I screwed up by putting two pads with the attached seating springs on one caliper?

For those who are intersted in knowing where the coolant sensor is, see the photo. You'll see two brass colored object. The main one is the butterfly door in the throttle body "on the right". The other brass object "directly to the left of throttle body" is the coolant temp sensor. Look for the brass colored hex nut in the photo, that's the sensor. Very easy to get to if you've taken off the air intake to the throttle body.

Well, anyone know if I screwed up the brakes? Or should just wait and see what happens? Car drives a LOT better! Very smooth, very smooth shifting, power is back, car moves effortlessly now. Before, it fealt labored to get going, somewhat. Now, not so much, at all!

post-15797-1257725825_thumb.jpg

Well, better late then never. I finally got the overhall done today. Spent all day yesterday doing the brakes and lower ball joints. Man, is that road salt some kind of freakin' evil on a car! New rotors & pads throughout, and from lower ball joints. Had the motor mounts done this past week. Spent today doing the spark plugs, cleaning out the throttle body, new fan belt, and a new coolant temp sensor. Results? Excellent!! Except for one thing..the front brakes.

After doing the first wheel "passenger side", I moved on to the next wheel "driver's side". There are four pads for the front. Two have these fitment springs attached to them, two don't. Realizing my error when installing the second wheel, I realized I put both pads with the seating springs on one wheel, and was forced to put the two that didn't have the springs on the driver's side. Pulled into the driveway a few minutes ago after my first test drive, and clearly heard a rythmic rubbing sound from somewhere. I can't tell if it's that passenger side wheel, or coming from the back "passenger side rear had the ebrake shoes dragging". Or, if there is simply some grease on the rotors that need to wear off.

Anyone know if I screwed up by putting two pads with the attached seating springs on one caliper?

For those who are intersted in knowing where the coolant sensor is, see the photo. You'll see two brass colored object. The main one is the butterfly door in the throttle body "on the right". The other brass object "directly to the left of throttle body" is the coolant temp sensor. Look for the brass colored hex nut in the photo, that's the sensor. Very easy to get to if you've taken off the air intake to the throttle body.

Well, anyone know if I screwed up the brakes? Or should just wait and see what happens? Car drives a LOT better! Very smooth, very smooth shifting, power is back, car moves effortlessly now. Before, it fealt labored to get going, somewhat. Now, not so much, at all!

Check your brake shields, they're probably rubbing somewhere. Bend it back a bit then drive a bit more, see if the sound persists.