Headlights

lexussuvlvr

So I am thinking about getting a 1999/2000 RX300. If I do, then I will sell mine to my grandmother. But, I absolutely LOVE the HID headlights. Unfortunately, they were only offered on the 2001-2003 model years. Do you think I could put the HID lights from my 2002 right on my 1999/2000 without changing the whole lighting unit?

You'd need to purchase a pair of 01-03 Rx300 HID headlights and do a swap.

The HID version headlights use a different reflector which is designed for the HID bulb. HID bulbs and standard halogen bulbs have different focal lengths, therefore both require different shaped reflectors.

You cannot just put an HID bulb into a halogen headlight- you will get a lot of glare above the cutoff which will blind oncoming drivers, and there won't be enough light on the road where you need it.

Also inside the HID headlights is what's called the "ballast". A ballast is used to ignite an HID bulb which takes around 27,000 volts whereas a halogen bulb takes 12v. A ballast converts the 12V from the battery into the high power HID bulbs require.

When you get the HID headlights, you'll need to do a little wiring because the plugs are different for each unit. From the back of the HID headlights you'll find a square plug with 4 wires going to it- if memory serves me right, pink, white, green and black.

Two of these wires feed the ballast 12V, and the other two feed 12V to the high beam bulb (same for halogen/HID units).

You would need to find out which wires go to the ballast, cut them from the plug, and solder them to the two wires that would go to the halogen low beam bulb on the halogen Rx. Then wire the two wires that feed the high beam bulb on the HID unit to the two wires that feed the high beam bulb on the halogen Rx. The parking, fog and directional bulb connectors are the same for both units.

You'd also lose the auto-leveling function he HID bulbs have, where they go up and down. There's no way to wire the motors to a non-HID Rx.

And that's all it takes to do the conversion. Some people say you need a harness before the ballast, but the Rx puts out enough current so you're fine.

It might sound complicated, but it really isn't... Damn i wish i was where you are, i could set it up in 10 minutes lol.

You should be able to find a pair of used HID headlights for around $100 each. The HID headlights will include the ballast, since they're impossible to remove from the headlights without opening them up...

Good luck!