2002 Rx300 Coach Edition Headlight

Jbug2412

My mechanic want to charge me $1400 just for the part to change my headlight. He replaced the bulb and that didn't work. He says that it is so expensive because the Coach Edition used a European headlamp. True or false? I am finding headlamp fixtures for around $200 on the web. To anyone with similar experience or knowledge of this I would appreciate some help.

Thanks

If it has HID lamps, which was a option, they are very expensive. If the hid computer went out it alone is around $1000 at dealer cost.

All Rx300 HID headlights in the US use the same headlight. All of the coach edition models came with HID vs halogen.

The problem is most likely the ballast if he's tried changing the bulb without success. The ballasts cannot be easily removed from the Rx300 headlights without messing around with the reflector leveling system etc, you're better off getting a used one from ebay and just doing a swap. You should be able to find a compete headlight with the ballast for around $200 or so. Just make sure it's the HID version not the standard halogen version. The reflectors are different, you'll be able to tell from the pictures which is which.

You won't find an HID Rx300 headlight without the ballast as it's incredibly hard to remove out of the housing... If you find one without a bulb, no problem just put your present one in.

I completed a few headlight retrofits on my old Rx300 that had HID, the headlights are complex...

you may be able to find a few "deals" for HID headlights with broken tabs. If you find one with broken tabs, it's ok as they're not really "needed" as the majority of the headlight is held on by the two bolts on the sides. Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS-RX300...sQ5fAccessories

and another:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-2001-l...sQ5fAccessories

Just not sure which side you need.