Ls400 Power Steering

dougs 400

I have a 1995 LS400 with about 110k miles. My second LS, and a wonderful car except for the power steering system (as was the other one). Replaced first pump in 2005 at 87,000 miles. Was good until '09 at 108,000. So had it replaced again. Now it's 2000 miles later and the old familiar whine is back and increasing. Shop doesn't understand what's wrong, but put some kind of oil additive from LUCAS in it. Ran about a month and is whining again. Now they say that the rack needs to be replaced.

There are no leaks at all in the system.

This is a highly regarded shop, I deal with the owner and I have trusted him with all my cars for years. But perhaps there is something he does not understand. What do you think?

Paul

Hi ... I saw this posting earlier and kinda figured that some of the other well known Gurus here would have jumped on this by now ..... but .... well ... it is a holiday weekend now .... so maybe they are out doing other things?

I have a 95 LS also ..... my power steering pump did not whine, but I found out by reading a lot here at LOC that there is a Steering Rack Solenoid filter screen on our cars that is over looked ... even by many Lex / Toyota mechanics. It is a subject that has been talked about here many, many times ... so if I were you, start looking around here and I am sure you can find info on this .....

What happens is, the little solenoid filter gets dirty over time and can start to clog up .... this causes the system pressure to get way high, thus causing much stress in the system as well as leaks in the system, and possibly even a leak that could get into your alternator (very bad) ..... all because of this little, fragile filter. Well ... all you have to do is to take the filter out and clean it (gently) and flush the power steering system well ... put everything back together with the filter back in place ... and you are good to go once again. This is a great preventative maintenance project that can take about an hour or so ....

Again ... many mechanics simply do not know about this little secret on our vintage LS 400 cars ....

I would think that by servicing the solenoid filter on your car and flushing the system totally, it would perhaps make the pump quiet down? I have a hunch this will really help ..... not to mention the fact that the solenoid filter in your car may have never been done before? Mine was that way (bought mine with 101,000 miles on it).... I just got real lucky and caught it before my system went nuts on me .....

So .. where is this located on your car? If you have your car on a flat surface and you turn your Left front wheel all the way to the right ... then look under your car from behind the front left wheel .... you can see the steering rack and you can also find the solenoid body (it is round and has an electrical connection going to it) ... well ... that is it. All you have to do is to open the solenoid body up and find the filter inside ..... there are pictures here on the forum that talk all about this and even have pics to see .... just dig around here and I am sure you will find it ......

well .... hope this helps!

Hi ... I saw this posting earlier and kinda figured that some of the other well known Gurus here would have jumped on this by now ..... but .... well ... it is a holiday weekend now .... so maybe they are out doing other things?

I have a 95 LS also ..... my power steering pump did not whine, but I found out by reading a lot here at LOC that there is a Steering Rack Solenoid filter screen on our cars that is over looked ... even by many Lex / Toyota mechanics. It is a subject that has been talked about here many, many times ... so if I were you, start looking around here and I am sure you can find info on this .....

What happens is, the little solenoid filter gets dirty over time and can start to clog up .... this causes the system pressure to get way high, thus causing much stress in the system as well as leaks in the system, and possibly even a leak that could get into your alternator (very bad) ..... all because of this little, fragile filter. Well ... all you have to do is to take the filter out and clean it (gently) and flush the power steering system well ... put everything back together with the filter back in place ... and you are good to go once again. This is a great preventative maintenance project that can take about an hour or so ....

Again ... many mechanics simply do not know about this little secret on our vintage LS 400 cars ....

I would think that by servicing the solenoid filter on your car and flushing the system totally, it would perhaps make the pump quiet down? I have a hunch this will really help ..... not to mention the fact that the solenoid filter in your car may have never been done before? Mine was that way (bought mine with 101,000 miles on it).... I just got real lucky and caught it before my system went nuts on me .....

So .. where is this located on your car? If you have your car on a flat surface and you turn your Left front wheel all the way to the right ... then look under your car from behind the front left wheel .... you can see the steering rack and you can also find the solenoid body (it is round and has an electrical connection going to it) ... well ... that is it. All you have to do is to open the solenoid body up and find the filter inside ..... there are pictures here on the forum that talk all about this and even have pics to see .... just dig around here and I am sure you will find it ......