Too Much Engine Oil?

tahir

I am confused when I check engine oil and power steering fluid. Above the full line there is always some streaky oil residues. Are those the indication of over fill? I put in 5.5 quarts of Full Synthetic oil in my 1999 LS 400. But when I check the stick it always look slightly over the full line due to those oily streaks.

1) 5.5 Quarts in LS400 too much?

2) What are those oil streaks in oil sticks? Are they a TRUE indication of over fill?

3) How about power steering fluid check. It has cold and hot settings and as like engine oil check I see those wet streaks of oil above the line.

4) What is the best way to check oil? I check them in the morning before starting my car. Clean the stick and dip them back in. But oil on the stick is always past the fill line.

Thanks in advance : )

I am confused when I check engine oil and power steering fluid. Above the full line there is always some streaky oil residues. Are those the indication of over fill? I put in 5.5 quarts of Full Synthetic oil in my 1999 LS 400. But when I check the stick it always look slightly over the full line due to those oily streaks.

1) 5.5 Quarts in LS400 too much?

2) What are those oil streaks in oil sticks? Are they a TRUE indication of over fill?

3) How about power steering fluid check. It has cold and hot settings and as like engine oil check I see those wet streaks of oil above the line.

4) What is the best way to check oil? I check them in the morning before starting my car. Clean the stick and dip them back in. But oil on the stick is always past the fill line.

Thanks in advance : )

well my friend, either you are not wiping off the existing oil residue or you are putting too much oil into the engine, if you do not wipe off the existing oil residue from the dip stick then it will appear as if there is too much oil in the engine due to the "sloshing effect" for lack of a better term, and makes it appear as though the oil level is higher then it really is.

Hi ..... well .... not sure if this will help .... but I know when I check my oil level, I like to do it first thing before I start the car for the first time that day. Everything is as settled as it could possibly be .... it has always been accurate.

If I have been driving the car and then decide to check it, I allow the car to have sat on a level surface for about 5 minutes .... then I pull the dip stick and wipe it off and re-insert it back to the motor ... and then take the reading, however I wait about 30 seconds before taking the reading so that if there is oil in the dip stick tube, it has been allowed enough time to drain out of the tube before I re-insert the dip stick itself ...

the amount of oil you put in sounds about right to me ..... on my 95 LS I am able to put about a 1/2 quart more than the manual says and I maintain the oil level to just below the top portion cross hatching on the dip stick ....

if I remember correctly, I think the manual says that my motor takes 5.1 quarts, but I always end up putting in almost 6 quarts ....

:cheers: