Engine Replacement...

Last Thursday my 06 GS started to sputter and the Low Engine Oil light came on. I immediately pulled over to check the car out. I pulled out the stick to check the oil and it was bone dry! I put in two quarts to get me home and took the car to the dealership the following day. It was due for an oil change anyways. I told the service advisor what had happened and was told it would be looked into.

Fast forward to today and I get call saying there is a small oil leak but there is also a problem with the "o" rings that would require the engine to be replaced. Needless to say I was shocked at this. Fortunately I was well within the powertrain warranty, and have already purchased the extended warranty through the factory, so there is no cost to me. Though I am disappointed in this whole thing!

The question that I pose is whether the car will be worth anything with a new engine. I'm still waiting to hear if I get a brand new engine or what that was rebuilt at the factory. (However, I plan on insisting on a new engine altogether.) Should I cut my ties with the car now that this major incident is happening? Should I just keep it since it has a new engine?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

BTW, I currently own 3 Lexus'. I haven't had anything near this happen with the other two. I have a 1996 ES300 that will probably outrun the other two!

Why would you insist on a new engine? Was the failed engine new when it died?

If it were me, I'd love to have a rebuilt Lexus engine, and wouldn't think twice about the incident, especially if Lexus is providing it.

How are you less whole with a rebuilt engine? Seems you are more whole with that, than with a blown engine. I guess I just don't get it.

They are going to give you a rebuilt engine, thats usually how it works. I would wait till you get the car back to see if there is any problem that the dealer cannot fix before you sell the car.

Thanks for the feedback. I found out today that they are only replacing the short block and all the gaskets. They seem to think that it didn't need the engine after all.

The reason for the ADHD is because this is the car I always wanted. I will post an update later.