Timing Belt Change

Don Lawing

I own a LS400, 1999. The car has 88450 miles to date. Is replacing the water pump a good idea to do at the same time

that the belt is replaced? How about the spark plugs?

Look forward to getting some input.

Thanks,

Don Lawing

Winfield, KS.

I own a LS400, 1999. The car has 88450 miles to date. Is replacing the water pump a good idea to do at the same time

Thanks,

Don Lawing

Winfield, KS.

Don: First and foremost yes as you have 10 years on the parts. It's great preventative maintenance. Secondly, change the plugs as it can't hurt. More importantly, I would do the following:

1. Change the tranny fluid. Lexus calls for a chance every 25k - 35k miles (personally I would flush the system)

2. Clean the Throttle body and MAF. The website has an outline of how to do it.

Good luck on your car. I have a 2000 LS 400 (I am trying to sell it) and a 2005 LS430 that I just bought. The LS400 is a great car and the car mileage is close to 31 on the highway w/o the air and running at 65 mph.

GDF

I've had a total of three timing belt services performed done during my 19+ years of driving Lexus LS cars. The tensioner, idler and several other small parts - and, of course, the water pump - are normally replaced with the timing belt at 6 years or 90,000 miles.

At least for my 2000 LS400, Lexus does not recommend replacing the transmission fluid - ever - unless the car is used in one or more of the "special operating conditions" documented in the maintenance manual. Even then, the replacement interval is 60,000 miles. The occasional trailer towing I do doesn't even qualify my car for that. With that said, most people end up doing a "drain and refill" of the transmission fluid ever 30K or 60K miles - I suppose its considered "cheap insurance".

My understanding is that the spark plug change interval was revised for the LS in the 2000 model year. The interval is 120,000 miles for my 2000 LS400 but I think you will find your 1999 LS400 manual to say 90,000 miles. My car is still running perfectly with the original spark plugs and with no MAP or throttle body cleaning which are generally required only at far high mileages.

Mainly follow your maintenance manual and don't allow dealers and indie repair shops to hoodwink you into unneeded and premature services.

Thanks,

Don Lawing

Winfield, KS.

Don: First and foremost yes as you have 10 years on the parts. It's great preventative maintenance. Secondly, change the plugs as it can't hurt. More importantly, I would do the following:

1. Change the tranny fluid. Lexus calls for a chance every 25k - 35k miles (personally I would flush the system)

2. Clean the Throttle body and MAF. The website has an outline of how to do it.

Good luck on your car. I have a 2000 LS 400 (I am trying to sell it) and a 2005 LS430 that I just bought. The LS400 is a great car and the car mileage is close to 31 on the highway w/o the air and running at 65 mph.

GDF