How To Remove A Faulty Starter For 1991 Ls400?

jqzhang

Hi,

I need to fix the starter of my 91 LS400.

I've read most of the folks about fixing a faulty starter but I still have problem removing the lower Instake Manifold. The bolts and nuts are off but as I tried to lift it, it looks like the front can be taken off but the rear end of the manifold can only be lifted slightly and feels like something is in the way but I don't know what. BTW, I did not remove the fuel rails, the injectors (only the plug-ins are unplugged), the rear water bypass and the engine wire at the back.

My question is do I have to remove the rear water bypass and the engine wire harness? The engine wire at the firewall is pretty secure and I cannot even find the fasteners.

I know the hard part is removing the starter but I've not reached that step yet and I already have enough headache.

Thanks in advance.

JohnQ

jgzhang, there is a bracket attached to the water bypass that needs to be loosened up and/or bent up:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&p=374739

Well, on my gen2 '95 it had to be bent back. I'm not sure if it's the same on your gen 1.

Thanks a lot, AzHotLS, especially the pictures. I'll let you know if I make it.

Take care.

I just put up a video on youtube showing the engine of a 90 LS400 with the intake manifold removed. Perhaps it will show you what you need to see. Search

LS400 picked clean.

hope it helps you