Acura Rl

98es

Hey Guys/Gals- I've recently been presented with the opportunity to purchase a 2001 Acura RL with 74k miles from a friend at work. He's asking $8k, which i thought was a steal. I'm going to look at it tomorrow so i'll know more then. I wasn't really even in the market for another car, but it has been in the back of my mind since my 98 ES300 has 170k miles. So... a few questions:

Does anyone know about the reliability of this car? I've done a little research and everything seems to check out okay. Which leads me to my next question:

Does anyone know of a good Acura forum? I googled it but i can't find ANYTHING even close to LOC.

I'd really appreciate anyones input. Thanks!

I would imagine it would be reliable, most Honda products are...

That generation RL is very sharp.

As far as forums, there's www.honda-acura.net, www.acuraworld.com

Those are nice cars. But nothing like the LS.

I'd say find an LS for $8g and you'll be set ;) hahah

But seriously I've always like those RLs. Very sharp.

however the 3.5L V6 RL gets worse MPGs than the 4.0L V8 LS ;)

It's a Honda, which means it'll run for freakin' ever! But, aside from the obvious, the only issue I've ever heard about Honda cars in general, is the transmission. Some of the accords of that year-area, had significant problems with some electricals. Plus, as they age (honda in general), the transmissions seem to shift harder and harder and harder, and their ride quality gets harder and harder and harder too. Our family's only experience with Honda was an 86' Acura Legend, and a 03 Honda minivan. I recall as a teenager, my dad complaining about how the Acura seemed to harden up as it aged, with more road noise, and harder shiftings of the transmission. I also vividly recall the fact that if you ever used the rear cigerette lighter, it shorted out the car, no matter if you were driving it or not "a fact I know to be true as I got grounded for missing curfew because I was makin' out with my girlfriend in it one night and accidentially hit that lighter".

The minivan was the same in terms of ride quality, road noise, and transmission shifting. It got replaced with the Nissan Quest, which they still have today and love.

My wife's family though, love Hondas and only buy Hondas. Her mom has a 01' Accord V6 with 280k miles. It's had transmission problems. Her dad sold his 98' civic coupe last year with 300k+ miles, no problems other than a bad head gasket starting to leak a little, and he replaced it with a new civic like Armyofone's. I replaced my wife's 03' Civic with our former Mazda 3. Her Civic had 81k miles, and drove like a freakin' truck, it was so loud and shifted horribly.

Honda's are great cars, and will go forever and ever. But in my opinion, they lack the ability to maintain that "new car" feel as they age as well as other car makers.

Update- Drove the car yesterday... Let me preface this. I drive a 98 ES300 w/170k miles and our other car is a 2001 LS430.

I was really disappointed in the ride to say the least. Just like NC said... shifts from 1st to 2nd was rough and shifting overall wasn't anywhere near my ES. I was also not impressed with the ride at all either. I didn't really expect it to ride/drive like the LS, but did think that it would be better than my old ES. So even though it was an awesome deal, i had to pass it up. I knew i wouldn't be happy with it. Plus it was gold... not to offend anyone with a gold car. I'm just not crazy about gold. Anyways, looks like i'm staying with the ES. Thanks everyone for the input!