Driver's Foot Rest

ricco750

I'm trying to remove the driver's foot rest on the left side of the floor. I see from parts schematics there are two "clips" underneath the foot rest. I have been able to force my fingers under the foot rest from the side toward the accel pedal...I pulled up with about thirty pounds of force but nothing happened, and I was afraid to pull harder. Anybody know how to get this thing off?

I'm trying to remove the driver's foot rest on the left side of the floor. I see from parts schematics there are two "clips" underneath the foot rest. I have been able to force my fingers under the foot rest from the side toward the accel pedal...I pulled up with about thirty pounds of force but nothing happened, and I was afraid to pull harder. Anybody know how to get this thing off?

Look carefully, and if I am not mistaken, from a post some time ago about the same thing, there should be 2 small round plugs on the footrest. take those out and you should find 2 screws that will make it a little easier to get off when you pull on it. Don't pull too hard once the screws are out... if ya know what I mean! :lol:

Look carefully, and if I am not mistaken, from a post some time ago about the same thing, there should be 2 small round plugs on the footrest. take those out and you should find 2 screws that will make it a little easier to get off when you pull on it. Don't pull too hard once the screws are out... if ya know what I mean! :lol:

Thanks 58, I found the round plugs...briefly tried to get them out before going to work...man, those things are in tight. I tried a pair of alligator pliers, they would not budge. I'll work on it more this evening. If anybody has a trick for getting these plugs out, please tell me!

Thanks 58, I found the round plugs...briefly tried to get them out before going to work...man, those things are in tight. I tried a pair of alligator pliers, they would not budge. I'll work on it more this evening. If anybody has a trick for getting these plugs out, please tell me!

They don't unscrew do they Ricco? Sure doesn't seem like they should be that hard to get out.

They don't unscrew do they Ricco? Sure doesn't seem like they should be that hard to get out.

Last night I mixed some liquid dish detergent 50-50 with water, took a q-tip and swabbed both plugs generously. This morning I tried again to get them out, no luck. They do rotate, but they don't unscrew. At every 180 degrees of rotation, they make an audible "click". I tried pulling them out at varying degrees of rotation, same results. I'm ready for a stick of C4 !

Last night I mixed some liquid dish detergent 50-50 with water, took a q-tip and swabbed both plugs generously. This morning I tried again to get them out, no luck. They do rotate, but they don't unscrew. At every 180 degrees of rotation, they make an audible "click". I tried pulling them out at varying degrees of rotation, same results. I'm ready for a stick of C4 !

I bet the plugs themselves don't come out. Try turning them till they click then pull the footrest off.

I bet the plugs themselves don't come out. Try turning them till they click then pull the footrest off.

Mikey- I think you may be on to something there! :)

Mikey- I think you may be on to something there! :)

I came to the same conclusion when I was at work yesterday...that the plugs don't come out, and that the rotation and the "click" must be the answers. So this morning I go into the car, turn the lower one 180 degrees CCW to the "click", pull hard but nothing happens...then rotated it another 90 degrees CCW, pulled hard, and there was a loud "pop" under the footrest, but it still was not free...so I turned another 180 CCW (90 past the click), pulled hard, AND IT CAME FREE ! Repeated the process for the top one, and the footrest was out. Now I can clean it properly.

Thanks everyone for your input, I know I would not have figured it out without your help. BTW, the preferred tool for this job would be a simple stubby blade type screwdriver to turn the plugs.

I came to the same conclusion when I was at work yesterday...that the plugs don't come out, and that the rotation and the "click" must be the answers. So this morning I go into the car, turn the lower one 180 degrees CCW to the "click", pull hard but nothing happens...then rotated it another 90 degrees CCW, pulled hard, and there was a loud "pop" under the footrest, but it still was not free...so I turned another 180 CCW (90 past the click), pulled hard, AND IT CAME FREE ! Repeated the process for the top one, and the footrest was out. Now I can clean it properly.

Thanks everyone for your input, I know I would not have figured it out without your help. BTW, the preferred tool for this job would be a simple stubby blade type screwdriver to turn the plug.

Ricco- glad you were successful. I guess we all learned something from this! :)