Where To Get New Vacuum Lines?

Banshee365

Hey guy's. There are several vacuum lines that have cracked all the way around where they slide over a fitting. They're old and brittle on the '96 LS. The line from the PS air valve to the front of the intake manifold is cracked. There is also a really bad line that crosses over the front of the motor from the intake tube to the drivers side of the motor that is cracked and unusable. These lines are formed to make certain corners and such. I know alot of people have had to run into this as well and I'm wandering what most do to replace them. Do you look in junk yards or just replace with straight fuel line and try to make the bends as necessary? Thanks!

-Kelly

Hey guy's. There are several vacuum lines that have cracked all the way around where they slide over a fitting. They're old and brittle on the '96 LS. The line from the PS air valve to the front of the intake manifold is cracked. There is also a really bad line that crosses over the front of the motor from the intake tube to the drivers side of the motor that is cracked and unusable. These lines are formed to make certain corners and such. I know alot of people have had to run into this as well and I'm wandering what most do to replace them. Do you look in junk yards or just replace with straight fuel line and try to make the bends as necessary? Thanks!

-Kelly

I wouldn't get parts like that from a junk yard - they're likely to be as brittle as yours.

Fuel line and vacuum line are different things - you want vacuum line in this case.

Just get some generic line of the right diameter from your favorite auto parts store and cut it to the length you need.

I just replaced the two lines going to the PS air valve on my '91 yesterday. I used 7/32" Inner-Diameter vacuum line from Pep Boys ($4.99 for 6 feet). There are some protective sleeves around the line that I re-used with no problems. Sure the new lines don't have the custom bends in them, but they don't really matter. If you're making 50k cars you can afford to custom bend the lines so they fit nicely and keep the engine compartment neat, but the generic stuff will work just fine and is far cheaper, more convenient to keep on hand, etc.

Good luck.