Dtcs - How To Read Off Multi-info Display

Hi,

My engine check light is on and I want to read what codes have been stored.

In the manual I see that this can be done without connecting a "hand-held device".

I have followed the instructions (jumping DLC3 and switching on) but I am stuck at the bit that says - "press the function key of the steering switch until EFI will be displayed on the instrument panel". This was exciting as the next bit reads - "Read the DTC on the instrument panel".

Can anyone tell me what "the function key of the steering switch" might be as I have pressed everything in sight but can get no codes displayed.

Many thanks.

Mike

Hi,

My engine check light is on and I want to read what codes have been stored.

In the manual I see that this can be done without connecting a "hand-held device".

I have followed the instructions (jumping DLC3 and switching on) but I am stuck at the bit that says - "press the function key of the steering switch until EFI will be displayed on the instrument panel". This was exciting as the next bit reads - "Read the DTC on the instrument panel".

Can anyone tell me what "the function key of the steering switch" might be as I have pressed everything in sight but can get no codes displayed.

Many thanks.

Mike

Hey Mike, I did a bit of research into this since it seemed like an important topic that could be beneficial to be familiar with for all of us on the forum who prefer to work on our own cars... or at least not get ripped off by an unscrupulous mechanic or dealer! Anyhow, you didn't mention if the procedure listed was from an owners manual, or a service manual... and was it for a specific model year?

What I have been able to find is that while you're obviously correct that your generation LS does not have a steering wheel button (or 'switch' as they prefer) labeled *Function*, the 1998 - 2000 models do. There are 3 control buttons on the right side of the drivers airbag for the trip computer labeled 'function, mode, and reset'. Under normal conditions, all this 'function' button does is allow the driver to toggle between warning messages (door open, low washer fluid, etc.) and the normal trip computer modes. I was looking closely at the steering wheel of a 2001 LS430 and it looks like yours are labeled on the left side of the airbag with 'Mode', and up/down arrows flanking it, then on the right with 'Disp1, Disp2, and Reset', does this sound correct? My thinking is that if you were to locate the particular button which toggled information on the display in a similar way to how the 'Function' control works on the earlier cars that it might display the DTC information you were looking for. Try starting the car, intentionally leaving a door open, and find which button changes the display from reading "Door Open", to your normal trip display. Alternatively, it's also possible this procedure as outlined only works for 1998 through 2000 model years?? By the way, out of curiousity where is DLC3 located... under the hood or beneath the dashboard? Looking forward to your follow-up, thanks.

Hi Slvr99LS,

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes, my steering wheel is as you describe; however I tried all these buttons but to no avail.

The procedure for reading the codes is from the relevant year's workshop manual; it give separate procedures for "with hand-held tester" AND "without" so I was expecting it to work ok.

The DLC3 on the LS430 2002 is located under the dash.

Maybe I should invest in a hand-held tester as I drive for a living, do a lot of miles and expect to buy another LS430 so it would probably be a good investment.

Can anyone recommend a suitable hand-held tester?

Many thanks.

Mike

Hi Slvr99LS,

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes, my steering wheel is as you describe; however I tried all these buttons but to no avail.

The procedure for reading the codes is from the relevant year's workshop manual; it give separate procedures for "with hand-held tester" AND "without" so I was expecting it to work ok.

The DLC3 on the LS430 2002 is located under the dash.

Maybe I should invest in a hand-held tester as I drive for a living, do a lot of miles and expect to buy another LS430 so it would probably be a good investment.

Can anyone recommend a suitable hand-held tester?

Many thanks.

Mike

Mike, I popped on ebay for a few this evening and typed in "OBD II scanner" as the search criteria and instantly brought back literally 100's of results. Seems you can get a decent handheld fully-functioned code scanner these days with a variety of features for about $60 or so here in the U.S. I then went on the worldwide site and found quite a few for less than 20 pounds sterling, plus shipping of course. My understanding is the OBD-II protocol is a worldwide standard that has been in place since 1996 so compatibility shouldn't be an issue in the U.K. or anywhere for that matter. On most of the mid-level scanners you can even view a live data feed which is kinda cool... watching in real-time all the sensors parameters changing (TPS, coolant temp, torque converter lockup, etc. etc.). Can be very helpful, particularly if you do plan to ever do any repair work on your own, or as previously mentioned, to help assure that a shop is repairing what they should and only what they should since with the scan data you'll be armed with knowledge ahead of time.

Anyhow, I don't think you'll have much of a problem finding a decent scanner at a very reasonable price. Even your local parts depot should stock a few different choices. The higher end units (read: more $$$) offer data logging, access to ABS codes and other features you may or may not find necessary. Would still be neat to know how to get the car itself to display the codes without a scanner by using the onboard display, but perhaps it's not even worth the hassle. In any event, hope this helps.

Thanks Slvr99LS,

We have a public holiday here inthe UK today and I'm not working until this evening so I think I'll spend a bit more time trying to get the system to display codes on the dashboard display.

After that I think I'm going to follow your advice and buy one off e-bay - there's certainly very little to lose and it would save trips to Lexus dealers (which are few and far between over here)

Thanks again,

Mike

Ok, I bought a hand-held code reader off e-bay and plugged it in but it wouldn't work at all.

I tried it in my wife's car and it works fine so I suspect my car is at fault.

The diagnostic procedure is to check for a 9-14v voltage between TC and CG in the DLC3 and mine was ok.

Next step is to "check and replace engine ECU" so unless anyone has any other ideas I think I'm going to ignore my engine light until I get an obvious problem.

Interestingly, I had the car converted to run on lpg (liquified petroleum gas) and this involved installing an additional ECU so maybe this has had some effect; I'll have to speak to the installer.

Mike