Cutting Rear Bumper To Fit Exhaust

jcrome04

Hey everyone! Well... I didn't really feel like it when I first got my exhaust done, but now I think I want to tuck the mufflers up a bit more.

I know a lot of you guys have cut your rear bumpers pretty simply, and had good results.

I'm having my exhaust re-done on Monday morning, and will ask my tech how much further he could move the mufflers up, then possibly cut accordingly in the near future.

I am just wondering if you guys that HAVE made cuts to your bumper, what tools did you use, how did you measure, and make the cuts? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

So on Monday I am only having the piping re-done, Maybe move my X-pipe back a little further, and have the two resonators taken out for more sound and a little better flow.

Mainly I'm having to do this because the tool that did my exhaust in the first place ran the pipes RIGHT underneath the bolts for the cross member for the tranny so I can't get to my Tranny mount to replace it!.. oh well.. two birds, one stone right? lol :D :D

Thanks for the tips/advice guys! :cheers:

Current

DSCF0540CL.jpg

and yes yes the mudflaps are ancient history!! B) hahah

Are you asking how to cut out semi circular (like half moon) cuts into the bumber to accomodate the exhaust tips in your pic? I'd like to know that myself, I have the same bumper as you & stock resonators aren't hardly visible at all.

And BTW, what kid of visible exhaust tips are those? Look very nice. How's the sound?

I got those suckers on clearance at mufflermall.com :D A nice generic straight through muffler to let the REAL sound of the 1UZ out B)

I am still at 2 1/4" piping, but now no gimmicky "Tru-X" pipe, and no resonators. Straight back to the mufflers. But pipes are equalized after the cats. Much better setup than before. (and done by a true professional) This guy is an artist with pipes I'll have to get a picture of underneath. Beautiful work.

As far as sound goes.. wow... this is EXACTLY how a 1UZ should sound. still just purrs on the highway. But when I get on it now.... WOW!! B) This engine really has a nice unique sound to it.

Videos DEFINITELY COMING SOON!!!!!

I got those suckers on clearance at mufflermall.com :D A nice generic straight through muffler to let the REAL sound of the 1UZ out B)

I am still at 2 1/4" piping, but now no gimmicky "Tru-X" pipe, and no resonators. Straight back to the mufflers. But pipes are equalized after the cats. Much better setup than before. (and done by a true professional) This guy is an artist with pipes I'll have to get a picture of underneath. Beautiful work.

As far as sound goes.. wow... this is EXACTLY how a 1UZ should sound. still just purrs on the highway. But when I get on it now.... WOW!! B) This engine really has a nice unique sound to it.

Videos DEFINITELY COMING SOON!!!!!

congrats on the modification! cant wait to see the Vids! so its pretty quiet at idle and on the highway still huh? ..as far as cabin noise goes i guess. i like that fact.

i really dont like exhausts on a car to sound like a redneck truck or wide open Harley Pipes just cruisin down the highway...too much noise for me.(even though i love the sound of Harleys!! but only on Harleys.) even classic muscle cars should just purr down the road till you stomp it!

i like my ride quiet for now cause my wife rolls w/me at times and drives it now and again when she travels...so when i get her an LS430, i may follow up on this modification for mine just for kicks....may even just install a couple of 2-ways right before the mufflers for that wide-open sound when i want it...that way i can keep it stock and just remove them at any time. B)

I have seen some electric exhaust cut-outs. So it switches to straight from the headers (or wherever you decide to put it) at the push of a button ;)

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from=R40&a...out&_sacat=

But as I said before, it has a very unique sound, not like anything else. It sounds awesome.

I have seen some electric exhaust cut-outs. So it switches to straight from the headers (or wherever you decide to put it) at the push of a button ;)

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from=R40&a...out&_sacat=

But as I said before, it has a very unique sound, not like anything else. It sounds awesome.

good find! and cant wait for the Vids!!! B)