Cluster Lights On With No Reason

Csosz74

Hey guys,

I have an 1990 LS400 with 255xxx miles in it.

Just today some lights came out on my cluster. Oil temp, handbrake (footbrake), rear lights, coolant temp, battery (or alt)

No reason for these things, I checked every fluid, all's fine.

Just read another topic about it to check the wiring at the left side trunk hinge. No visible problem found, no cracks or opening on the wires.

I have a nice leak from the power steering pump, slow but steady. Can this leak cause any problem at my check lights?

Also, a few months ago the yellow rear light indicator came out on the cluster, but after a while it went away.

Thanks for any ideas...

Is the problem fixed now? I would suspect if you had a faulty alternator you'd have many other symptoms like not being able to start the car, lights dimming, blower motors slower. If you have a digital voltmeter (DVM) measure battery voltage (at the battery) with engine running and as many electrical items turned on as possible (high beams, rear window defrost, A/C and blower motor on max, seat heat, audio system cranked.....

If alternator is faulty you should see something less than 13V on the battery.

Is the problem fixed now? I would suspect if you had a faulty alternator you'd have many other symptoms like not being able to start the car, lights dimming, blower motors slower. If you have a digital voltmeter (DVM) measure battery voltage (at the battery) with engine running and as many electrical items turned on as possible (high beams, rear window defrost, A/C and blower motor on max, seat heat, audio system cranked.....

If alternator is faulty you should see something less than 13V on the battery.

Yes, both the alt and the PS pump have been replaced. 590$ total. Now it works fine. the problem came out on Thursday when going to work. Then I disconnected the battery for the day and I could go home. For Friday, the battery was KO.

I had to recharge to get to the mechanic.

Thanks all