2002 Ls430 Navigation Ecm Failure

madelia

Recently I had the DVD map for the navigation system upgraded to the 2008 version on my 2002 LS430. This was the first time the navigation system has ever been touched in the 7 years I have owned the car. One week after the upgrade the navigation ECM could no longer read the DVD map. I am now being told I need to replace the ECM (more than $1,000 cost), and that the failure had nothing to do with the DVD map upgrade that took place the week before. I have trouble accepting these are not related. Has anyone seen or heard of this before? Is anyone aware of an instance where upgrading the DVD can cause problems with the ECM?

thanks, Pat

Did they give you the old DVD? Maybe reinstall it and see if all symptoms go away. It could be just a badly pressed DVD (or a cheap r/w copy that may not play right in your machine).

Take a look yourself and see if it is a printed label DVD or just a generic r/w bought from office depot....

If it was a dealer and they used a knock off that would be surprising... if its an idependent that did it probably a good chance he bought a knock off from eBAY or Craigs list.