Lowering Springs And Shocks -seeing Advice

Dr. Jay

Hi!

I have a 1998 LS400 (105K miles). The car keeps "bouncing" after traveling over dips in the road. Could the shocks be worn out? I did the classic test of pushing the (standing) car down by hand and seeing how many times it keeps bouncing - I see a two or three oscillations.

If I need new shocks, what kind should I buy?

I am also thinking of replacing the springs to lower the car a bit. Eibach does not offer any for my model/year, so I guess it has to be H&R. Any experience with this make; will lowering the car make it harsher riding? Can I still use shocks that have the original damping levels with these springs?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Jay D.

Yes you need new struts. New springs would be good too.

Buy some monroe struts. they aren't too spendy. You can get they complete too with the spring.

If your looking for lowered ride hard, yes it will make it a harsher ride and also make your handling worse. Depending on how much you lower it can also cause your tires to wear faster on the insides.

I recommend just buying the OEM or equal to springs.

If you want a drop..

~1": H&R/Bilstein (sport)

~2": Tanabe DF210/KYB GR-2 (luxury)

The H&Rs are noticeably stiffer, and more sporty.

The Tanabe's are VERY close to the stock ride, and you get the amazing look of a 2" drop B) B) B)

If you want a drop..

~1": H&R/Bilstein (sport)

~2": Tanabe DF210/KYB GR-2 (luxury)

The H&Rs are noticeably stiffer, and more sporty.

The Tanabe's are VERY close to the stock ride, and you get the amazing look of a 2" drop B) B) B)

H&R/KYB is also somewhat popular as you get a slightly stiffer feel on smooth roads but very cushy on bad roads. much softer and more like a lower version of OEM.