Can I Pump Out My Atf?

Jeffrey Davis

My '98 LS 400 has 250,000 miles and the transmission fluid has been changed every 30k. My local oil change place has stopped using the T-Tech machine and is now just pumping it out through the filler spout. The Lexus dealers want $250 for a flush.

I have several peristaltic pumps that will easily pump transmission fluid. I'm thinking about buying a bunch of T-IV from the Toyota dealer, pumping out 2-3 quarts and refilling it with new every couple of months. Apart from the fact that I'll be working off "purification by dilution" are there any problems with this method?

I've looked at the video: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/transmission/ but don't want to get under the car - if my pump method will work.

Thanks,

Jeff

I'd just do the drain and fill technique. It's your safest option.

What is the difference between draining and filling and pumping and filling?

Jeff

pumping doesnt flush out all the little bits of transmission floating around at the bottom of the pan...

First off, you get kudos for using the term "peristaltic". I learned something new... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump

I really do not see a difference in pumping vs. draining. You are depending on a mixing action in either case.

Really, the better way is to let the transmission pump the fluid out via the method outlined in the tutorial.

Why? Because there is less mixing of new and old fluid going on (although there is some). So, I would go with

the tutorial method for best flush.

I also work in the marine industry, so pumping fluids out via the dipstick is quite common - on engines that cost more than our entire car did new. Use the pump you have and replace the fluid you remove - good idea.

Don't worry about the little bits "floating around at the bottom". There aren't any.

Just something I learned by accident when I changed my timing belt........I used ramps in order to remove the plastic splash trays from beneath the engine. While I had the car up on the ramps, I also removed the tranny drain plug so that I could do a drain 'n fill. As it turns out, with the front of the car up on ramps, I drained out about 5 quarts of transmission fluid vs. the 2 you typically drain when it is level. Just thought I would throw that out there if you are looking for an easy way of draining more tranny fluid at one time.

Just something I learned by accident when I changed my timing belt........I used ramps in order to remove the plastic splash trays from beneath the engine. While I had the car up on the ramps, I also removed the tranny drain plug so that I could do a drain 'n fill. As it turns out, with the front of the car up on ramps, I drained out about 5 quarts of transmission fluid vs. the 2 you typically drain when it is level. Just thought I would throw that out there if you are looking for an easy way of draining more tranny fluid at one time.

And I noticed that when I drained my tranny via the plug, that 2 liters of fluid comes out, not 2 quarts. They are close,

but the liter is a couple ounces more than the quart. The net issue is that the fluid is sold in quart containers and if you do

the drain often, you slowly lose out. Granted not a big deal with just several drains, but it can add up.

You just need to keep an eye on the tranny dipstick for actual measurement.

My '98 LS 400 has 250,000 miles and the transmission fluid has been changed every 30k. My local oil change place has stopped using the T-Tech machine and is now just pumping it out through the filler spout. The Lexus dealers want $250 for a flush.

I have several peristaltic pumps that will easily pump transmission fluid. I'm thinking about buying a bunch of T-IV from the Toyota dealer, pumping out 2-3 quarts and refilling it with new every couple of months. Apart from the fact that I'll be working off "purification by dilution" are there any problems with this method?

I've looked at the video: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/transmission/ but don't want to get under the car - if my pump method will work.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I just had my 1998 LS 400 transmission oil "exchanged" via the filler hole. It cost me $150. After a lot of research and conversations with repair shops, I chose this method because it seemed the most effective and least "harmful" (no pressure). The shop that did the repair did a good job in running the engine(transmission) every few minutes, and thus making sure the old fluid in the torque converter was back in the pan and thus could be drained.

As I understand it, the LS400 has magnets in the transmission pan. These are supposed to trap any metal fillings. I would have liked to have the transmission pan to be removed and the magnets cleaned up, but it was too expensive. Plus, the dealer explained that these magnets hold a lot of metal and a cleaning was not really necessary. I was also told that the LS400 does not really have filter, just a sieve that catches large parts. Again, they told me that a filter change was not really needed.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jay