Just Got My 05 Ls430

danxp

new to the forum and to lexus...

just picked up my 05 ls430 last nite and am quite pleased... glad to see that there's an engaging community of LSers...

got a pretty good deal... i think...

- 2005 ls430 w/sport and prem pkg... msrp $58k

- 49k miles

- still about 3 months and 1k miles of factory warranty left

- $22k - private party

i have some questions that i couldn't get the answers to when doing some searches...

- is it a good idea to get a remote starter installed?

- what can i do to protect my bumpers? (other those heinous bumper protecter stickers and the floor mat hanging out of the trunk)

- what extended warranty company do you recommend? so far, considering carchex and warrantydirect

- what are the trunk struts used for? is the trunk supposed to fully open up when the trunk button is pressed?

- the car seems to hesitate a bit when accelerating... the seller claims it's because he used regular gas in the car... if true, will super/plus make that much of a difference? what can i do to flush out the regular-gas impurities?

- the interior autodimming mirror doesn't seem to darken properly... is this normal? is it covered under factory warranty?

- is there anyway to get the manual side sunshades installed somehow? or get an aftermarket?

thanks!

Congrats Dan and IMO you got a heck of a deal. In my impatience, I wound up with a nice one owner Texas car with 32,000 miles for $22K from a MB Dealership, except it's an 03 with Lexus Chrome wheels and no other options except a/c seats and sunroof, plus it has been serviced at the Lexus dealership every 5K miles. I heard of deals this good but now seeing them I know I overpaid.

The only thing I can comment on is the warranty. A guy at Sewell Lexus in Dallas said he would sell me a Lexus extended warranty, but don't know any of the details. You might check with him as he is their eBay salesman. Oh, and my trunk does not open fully when I press the remote. Be sure to get everything you can fixed under warranty!

Congrats! Thats a great deal.

If you want a remote starter ;)

- what can i do to protect my bumpers? (other those heinous bumper protecter stickers and the floor mat hanging out of the trunk)

I'd say park carefully. You can have a clear bra material installed on both bumpers, but I don't know how much good it will do...

- what extended warranty company do you recommend? so far, considering carchex and warrantydirect

I would only buy the factory lexus warranty or just skip the warranty...

- what are the trunk struts used for? is the trunk supposed to fully open up when the trunk button is pressed?

The struts aid in lifting the trunk lid up (its heavy), it doesn't open all the way when you release it I don't think.

- the car seems to hesitate a bit when accelerating... the seller claims it's because he used regular gas in the car... if true, will super/plus make that much of a difference? what can i do to flush out the regular-gas impurities?

It could be that there is some carbon build up in the throttle body, but I doubt its from regular gas. I would run premium in the car (it calls for it) and you could have a fuel induction service done and see if that helps. If this is your first car with an electronic throttle then it may be a characteristic you just have to get used to, try driving in ECT PWR mode and see if that helps.

- the interior autodimming mirror doesn't seem to darken properly... is this normal? is it covered under factory warranty?

In what way does it function improperly? Definately a warranty item.

- is there anyway to get the manual side sunshades installed somehow? or get an aftermarket?

They sell all kinds of aftermarket ones that roll up but they look awful. You could buy door panels off a UL with the shades and install them sure, but my guess is this would cost so much it wouldn't be worth it...

Congrats! Thats a great deal.

If you want a remote starter ;)

I'd say park carefully. You can have a clear bra material installed on both bumpers, but I don't know how much good it will do...

I would only buy the factory lexus warranty or just skip the warranty...

The struts aid in lifting the trunk lid up (its heavy), it doesn't open all the way when you release it I don't think.

It could be that there is some carbon build up in the throttle body, but I doubt its from regular gas. I would run premium in the car (it calls for it) and you could have a fuel induction service done and see if that helps. If this is your first car with an electronic throttle then it may be a characteristic you just have to get used to, try driving in ECT PWR mode and see if that helps.

In what way does it function improperly? Definately a warranty item.

They sell all kinds of aftermarket ones that roll up but they look awful. You could buy door panels off a UL with the shades and install them sure, but my guess is this would cost so much it wouldn't be worth it...

What Steve said.

Trunk struts are a common item on this car; the trunk will open only slightly when you open it by remote or the button on the dash. New struts make it easier to open but it won't pop open like a Mercedes.

Re: the throttle response maybe clogged fuel filters? Run some good gas through it and do some highway driving this may help. You can also try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so. You'll lose all your radio and other presets but this will reset the transmission's learning function and the throttle control mapping; which might improve your responsiveness.

Welcome to the LOC! :)

thanks for the responses...

i'd love to get a remote starter, but don't want someone tinkering with all this electronic stuff... so the struts are just supposed to assist in opening the trunk and locking the trunk once it catches?

as for the side shades, what's a UL?

i'm seriously considering getting the aftermarket warranty... probably warranty direct... their policies are fully transferrable and refundable and you can use any shop... 4yr/100k total miles for ~$2500... can you get a cpo warranty after the fact?

thanks for the responses...

i'd love to get a remote starter, but don't want someone tinkering with all this electronic stuff... so the struts are just supposed to assist in opening the trunk and locking the trunk once it catches?

as for the side shades, what's a UL?

i'm seriously considering getting the aftermarket warranty... probably warranty direct... their policies are fully transferrable and refundable and you can use any shop... 4yr/100k total miles for ~$2500... can you get a cpo warranty after the fact?

Is an extended warranty really cost effective for a Lexus? These cars are just so reliable that it seems like a waste of money. I bought an extended warranty for my 2001 Toyota Sequoia when I bought it new, since it was the first model year (my justification). I didn't need it at all.

I've just heard bad things about a lot of aftermarket warranties. The Lexus Platinum new car warranty can be purchased any time up to the end of the original factory warranty and is also transferable.

I bet you can buy it online for about what the Warranty Direct one will cost...

I bought one for mine and it wound up being worthwhile...

The UL is the Ultra Luxury package, thats the big package with the air suspension, the power/massaging rear seats, and the sunshades...

ya i would run premium through the car. I have a 91LS400 and its only had premium and you can tell because it still runs beautifuly. Ya the extended warrenty i don't think is needed. The only problem i have had with my 91 with 101k miles on it is forgetting to add power steering fluid (which is dextron IV or tranny fluid....odd but its wat it called for) and its quiet and responsive. Also what SW03ES deff put it on power. I have mine usually on power (my dad likes to turn it of when he drives it >_<) but you will notice a deff boost in takeoff and it will keep you in your powerband longer so it won't constially have to change gears if your speeding up and slowing down ( however keep in mind this will lower your gas mileage) but congrats! i wish mine was a few years newer haha but it still love it!