Power Tilt On Steering Wheel

hi

another post. i keep having problems with my car that i love so much. i have a 92 sc400. and the power tild on my steering wheel won't let it go down. i can move the steering wheel up, in, and out. but not down past a certain point. it starts to click like it is not catching the column to move it. any suggestions on why this would happen. i moved it up one day like a dummy and now it won't go back down!

thanks that helped. and i was able to look at the gear. it seems to not be balanced. but i can't get the damn thing out. Any advice on that? i tried paper clips but they didnt seem strong enought. and i'm not sure im that little metal thing is unscrewable.(spell/word check) it lookshttp://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?act=post&do=reply_post&f=94&t=56933#

Help Toggle Side Panel like that is apart of the gear!

no i actually havent tried that. but i can see that my gear is not balanced. so after it spins around for whatever reason it doesnt catch. and you can just hear the motor running. i just stuck my finger in to balance and lower it to a comfortably drivig position. but i still want to just fix it!

• 4 months later...
thanks that helped. and i was able to look at the gear. it seems to not be balanced. but i can't get the damn thing out. Any advice on that? i tried paper clips but they didnt seem strong enought. and i'm not sure im that little metal thing is unscrewable.(spell/word check) it lookshttp://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?act=post&do=reply_post&f=94&t=56933#

Help Toggle Side Panel like that is apart of the gear!

To update this problem: I was able to lower the steering wheel by pushing on the round fiber gear at the 6 o'clock position thus better engaging the worm gear with normal use of the tilt switch. Now that the worm gear holds the round gear in the proper position it is easier to extract. Instead of paper clips, I utililized a single small wall type picture hanger with the hook bent at 90 degrees. With the nail end of the hanger held with needle nose pliers, it was easy to slide the hook end behind the round gear and nudge around the circumference until it came free. Installing a thin washer behind the round gear (as previously described) seems to do the trick.