Mystery Button, Brake Bleed & P-brake Strut

B.Lee

I'm new to the board. I'm working on my mothers 1996 LS400 w/165k miles. I'm a do-it-yourselfer and have pretty extensive automotive knowledge. I have a few random questions:

1.) I was checking the parking brake out on the car and was looking under the dash. I found the gas strut on the parking brake pedal is toast - it has no resistance. while under there I noticed a black push button switch near the courtesy light under the kick panel. Does anyone know what this switch is for? I looked at the back of the switch and it is a Toyota brand switch (not aftermaket).

2.) Had to replace the master cylinder on the vehicle also. veh. has traction control and ABS. Instructions say to operate the pump by turning the vehicle on. Is there a way to operate the pump manaully while under the hood if this doesn't work? Does anyone have specific instructions on the bleeding procedure. I have access to Alldata but it's not very clear/precise in what it says to do.

3.) As mentioned in #1 the parking brake strut that returns the parking brake pedal to the up position is no good. Does anyone know where I can get one of these besides the dealer?

Thanks for your help everyone,

Brian

Nashville, TN