Codes 0441,0442, 0446

tom2

Check engine light came on, as did the VSC. My mechanic said the VSC can often come on just because the check engine light was activated. Took it to Autozone and they gave me these three codes: 0441, 0442 and 0446.

Vehicle is driving fine. Is a 03 RX 300. What could be the problem? What should I troubleshoot and in what order, in order not to needlessly spend money?

Thanks,

Tom, Columbus, Ohio

Have you had your oil changed lately? Or replaced your air filter? Check the hose behind your air filter box. Sometimes that hose becomes disconnected and will through those codes. Also check your gas cap, make sure it's tight. I had the same thing and it was that hose, save me a ton of $$. I was told I needed to spend 1,000.00 to fix and I did it myself. Disconnect the battery to reset the codes.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Haven't had oil changed lately or the air filter. Did check all hoses and they seem fine. Will go buy a new gas cap, just in case. If that doesn't fix the problem, what next?

When Autozone checked it with their code machine, it came back with these probable causes: "block vapor canister; open or short circuit connection; failed vent solenoid; purge solenoid malfunction; vent solenoid malfunction; block vapor canister; and EVAP hose faulty".

How do you check these solenoids? What's with the "open or short circuit connection"?

Could the problem really be my VSC?

Thoughts/ideas?

Thanks,

Tom