P0446 Again

After visiting Autozone for them to give the CEL code of P0446, I decided to replace the gas cap on my 2000 GS300. After replacing the gas cap, I removed the neg. lead on the battery for approximately 30 seconds and replaced it. The light stayed off for approximately 3 days and over 600 miles. It then returned again. Kind of strange that it would go for this long. Any help would be appreciated, as I know this topic has been explored a great deal.

• 3 weeks later...

I was plagued by this code and replaced the gas cap and the O ring. Still got the code. I found the cure!!! But I'm not sharing....just kidding! I will share on one condition, you share your results here for others!

Go to Home Depot, Ace Hardware or Lowes. Buy some silicone lubricant, not the aerosal type, but the liquid type, or the stuff in a tube. It's used for plumbing O rings. Grease up that Oring and tighten down slowly, if you tighten fast, the cap clicks and will not tighten as much. Keep it greased and your problems are over! Please let us know if it works for you!

After visiting Autozone for them to give the CEL code of P0446, I decided to replace the gas cap on my 2000 GS300. After replacing the gas cap, I removed the neg. lead on the battery for approximately 30 seconds and replaced it. The light stayed off for approximately 3 days and over 600 miles. It then returned again. Kind of strange that it would go for this long. Any help would be appreciated, as I know this topic has been explored a great deal.