Question On Sticky Passenger Air Bag Dash Cover

23bull

I have a 2004 IS 300. The car only has 25,000 miles. The interior of the car is mint, however, on the dash the passenger dash air bag cover is sticky and seems to be breaking down with the UV rays. Is this an easy change out at the Lexus dealer or are they going to quote me a totally new air bag install? Anyone else with this problem?

I have a 2002 IS300 with 32,000 miles. I not only have the sticky airbag, but the dash is getting funny too. I took it to the dealer I purchased the car from and asked them if they could get Lexus to pay for replacement of the whole dash and airbag. Haven't heard back from them yet. Looked on automotix.com and dash assy is $335 with free shipping. Airbag is more, found a new one on ebay for $375. It's an expensive proposition. Am looking into some sort of dash cover as a last resort.

• 6 months later...

What causes this issue? Two months ago a tree fell on my immaculately maintained 2002 IS300 with only 55,000 miles on it. Anyway, my car has been in and out of one of the best (huh?) body shops in town since this happened. I am not pleased with the work mainly want to know wth happened to my air bag cover on my dash. I truly don't think it is mine, used part? But, what caused this? There are also pry marks now on my dash, looks like someone tried to remove the cover with a knife or something. They also broke my windshield and replaced it with Pinklington glass that is pure crap! The side mirror was replaced and looking in it is very different than looking in my original one that wasn't damaged. I am fighting with them about these issues most (there are others) but I shouldn't have to accept this...............or do I?