Comparison Analysis With Rx350

I am planning to buy a used RX (2008 or 2007) soon. I am unable to decide between 350 and 400h.

I have been researching at various websites about the comparisons between the two models.

My only motivation for buying a 400h would be the fuel savings. Since I live in Texas, so AWD is not necessary for me.

I am sure some of you current owners of RX 400h must have faced similar dilemma and done your research.

I would appreciate if you can share it with me and also tell that why did you go with RX 400h in the end.

Also is RX400h really cost effective? How long does it take to break even on the extra cost.

Thanks

I am planning to buy a used RX (2008 or 2007) soon. I am unable to decide between 350 and 400h.

I have been researching at various websites about the comparisons between the two models.

My only motivation for buying a 400h would be the fuel savings. Since I live in Texas, so AWD is not necessary for me.

I am sure some of you current owners of RX 400h must have faced similar dilemma and done your research.

I would appreciate if you can share it with me and also tell that why did you go with RX 400h in the end.

Also is RX400h really cost effective? How long does it take to break even on the extra cost.

Thanks

I was having trouble to decide whether to pick the 400H or the 350 couple months back, see the link listed on the other reply. I decided to go for the 400H. I am glad that I made that decision. I will not go thru the advantage and disadvantage between the two, which you can find them on other posts. But I will tell you one of the top reasons that I am glad I got the 400H, which I didn't know when I decided to buy the 400H at that time..... If you get the 350, you are getting a nice SUV, but if you get the 400H, you are getting a nice SUV plus a TOY. The reason I say getting a toy as an extra, it is because when I drive the 400H, I am playing the game of try to engage/use the battery to power the SUV as often as possible. You will need to drive it in a certian way so that the battery power be engaged more often. I am not trying to safe some gas, may be just a side benefit for me, but I find it is fun to do that. So it is like I am playing a game.

Hope this help,

Getting a SUV and a game regards,

Thanks

If by breaking even on costs you are mean the savings in fuel costs it will take a long time (unless gas goes to and stays at $5 a gallon).

The biggest advantage with the 400h is not so much the fuel savings but the difference in the drive trains. If you do a lot of driving in traffic the 400h is much more calming because of the CVT transmission. The feel of acceleration is markedly different as well. Climbing mountain passes for example is effortless. Under normal throttle (not wide open) it is also quieter.

/Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Originally I waited 14 months for my 400h. I loved it. Some people have remarked that it is noisier than a conventional car, but today I drove a new 350 while mine was being serviced. I guess because my hybrid is broken in, it is actually quieter, you don't feel the car shifting gears and the acceleration was much quicker and smoother. The other thing I noticed today is that my car corners a whole lot better. I don't know if it's the weight or the tires, but I was glad to get my 2006 400h back.