Master Key Was Stolen, And I Dont' Have A Spare- What's The Be

I got mugged last night and my purse was stolen, including my only key to my 2006 GS 300. I didn't get a spare when I bought it used, so I only had the master. The thief that stole my purse has my key now, so I need to make a new key. My car is parked in front of my house so what should I do to get a new key? I don't want to get the whole ignition system changed, if I don't have to...Should I order a new master key online (like from Sewell) and ask a dealer to program it, or do they need me to bring the car in? I'd appreciate any advice- thanks!

This is going to require a computer to program the key(s). I would suggest that you call your dealer, order two master keys, make an appointment, and learn an expensive lesson in the process. Never go without a spare key.

Depending on how good of a relationship you have with your dealer, be prepared to pay the towing cost to the dealer as well.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but unfortunately you have few headache-free options. Since you'd have to consult the dealer to program the key(s) in any case, you might as well get them from the dealer. There is a chance they will be more sympathetic with the price if you do the whole deal through them. The dealer retail is not much more than the price online for what you need.

You might want to get it towed to safe storage as quickly as possible since the assailant has your key and probably your address. The good news is, once the new keys are made, the old one will no longer start the car. Unfortunately, the physical part of the old key will still open the door. For the utmost safety, you should have all the locks changed if you cannot recover the old key. Consult your insurance company and ask if they will cover the costs.

Do you have a garage? If so, push the car in there and remove the battery or the main ECU fuse. This is assuming that you can access the inside of the car. If not, call Lexus Roadside Assistance and have them tow the car to your lexus dealership, you should be covered. Then see if you can't work out an agreeable deal with them. If you have two dealerships within the area, play one against the other to get the best price.

Have you talked to your insurance company? They may cover the cost of the key placement/reprograming, it is cheaper for them to do that than to cover the cost of the stolen vehicle if that happens. Unfortunately, insurance companies don't buy into that "ounce of prevention" bologna.

steviej

I thought you cannot program a any key without the master key. The dealer might needs to re-program or replace the ECM for the new keys. You should replace all the key cylinders for a peace of mind.

I got mugged last night and my purse was stolen, including my only key to my 2006 GS 300. I didn't get a spare when I bought it used, so I only had the master. The thief that stole my purse has my key now, so I need to make a new key. My car is parked in front of my house so what should I do to get a new key? I don't want to get the whole ignition system changed, if I don't have to...Should I order a new master key online (like from Sewell) and ask a dealer to program it, or do they need me to bring the car in? I'd appreciate any advice- thanks!

Same thing (+/-) happened to us. C.'s handbag was stolen; it contained master key + ID. I was/am insured with GEICO. They accepted to pay for the re-keying of all locks and getting new keys. Came to $1200, if I recall correctly. But they preferred doing that than risking the car being stolen. (I has a $500 deductible). You should check what your insurance co. will provide.

I thought you cannot program a any key without the master key. The dealer might needs to re-program or replace the ECM for the new keys. You should replace all the key cylinders for a peace of mind.

The ability to program master keys without an existing key depends on the model year. This programming function was added to the Lexus computer for later model years.