Need Your Advice

makapaka

Hello Lexus folks. I've just joined the forum as I have a need to pick the collective brain for advice on purchasing a pre-owned Lexus.

We have recently suffered the loss of my wife's car ('08 Mazda 6) in an accident. We're now faced with a choice. Buy new again, or pay cash for a car and be out of car debt.

My wife is a big fan of a luxurious, smooth and quiet ride, and I need a car which is dependable and solid. I've told her that if we choose to go used, we should really look at a Lexus as it seems to satisfy both requirements. The ES is obviously the most affordable model, and I've found several. First there is a 2000 model, local one owner at the Lexus dealer in town. 97000 miles and priced at $8900.

Then come 2 '03s, both for sale by owner, 50 & 62k miles, $14,500 and $15,000.

So my questions for you good folks, at 97k miles, how much more reliable service can be expected without major repair ?

Do the '03s seem reasonably priced ?

Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with the warranty company "Warranty Direct" ?

And finally, Is Lexus as solid as I have been led to believe ?

Thanks in advance for your attention, and your input.

makapaka,

Toyota makes some of the most reliable vehicles on the planet, and a Lexus ES is one for sure. If properly maintained the drive trains are trouble free and can be expected to last 350 000 miles or more. The key in buying a used one is to find an ES that shows "pride of ownership". Even better is an ES with a complete service record from new, showing that all the recommended servicing has been done.

Would I buy one with 97 000 miles? Yes, if it fits the my descriptions above. Would I buy either of the 03's you described? Again yes, and again with the same requirements.

Would I buy an extended warranty from Lexus or anybody else? No! One could almost guarantee you that you won't need the extended warranty, Toyota's cars are that well built. If you are that concerned about future repairs, put the warranty money in a separate bank account towards future repairs. If you need it its available for future fixes, if you don't need it for repairs, it'll help pay for new tires and timing belts as required, or put it towards your next car purchase. The caveat to remember is, if you buy an extended warranty and your car gets written off in an accident three weeks later, will you get your warranty money back? No. But your money in the bank will still be there.

As far as the prices asked for the vehicles you've described, I can't comment, as our market here in Canada is entirely different. Good Luck!

I'm sure the 02's would be nice cars, but the 2000 may surprise you if it has complete service records.

I purchased my 2000 ES last June from Ken Shaw Lexus in Toronto with 85000 miles for $11k.

It came with a complete service history from the dealership, including the t-belt service.

I don't drive long distances anymore, but the car gets used everyday around our pothole strewn city, including a brutal,cold winter.

I've put around 10k of stop and go driving, and the car is still as tight as day 1.

My total service has involved 2 oil changes ... and I'm the type who looks for things to service out of boredom.

This car has been more of a joy than my 2000 LS400, which I never thought was possible.

Good luck, and purchase any ES300 with confidence, if it has excellent service history.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Yes the car is well maintained, having seen the service records (all from the Lexus dealer). Everything up to and including the 90k service. The car is clean outside, absolutely immaculate inside. Thanks especially for gbhrps for the insight on the extended warranty. Having just lost a car to an accident your point about possibly losing the warranty cost was something that I hadn't considered, but makes perfect sense. In the end the decision will be up to the wife, but I personally hope to be back to report that we are Lexus owners. Thanks again.

I bought a 2000 ES 300 4 years ago from a dealer CPO, and I was glad I had the warranty. I didnt have any major issues, but I feel I did get value from the additional cost of the CPO. I did have to replace the rear suspension which was covered, and everytime I went to the dealer, I was treated better for having a warranty.

In terms of buying a 2000 today, I agree the warranty wont be worth much. I also agree with the other posts. Make sure and verify the service records. After 90K, there is a lot of stuff that could need to be done aside from the timing belt. I just did a major service 90K / timing belt / water pump / cam and crank seals, and now I am having issues with the IACV which seems to be pretty common with these cars. This is a $285 part that hopefully can be cleaned as suggested by the good folks here in the forum. I also have leaking valve cover gaskets which the dealer wants $400 to change.

My point is, you are buying a old machine and buyer beware. No matter how good of shape its in, it will have issues, and unless you are a mechanic, you will have to spend some dough. For around 15-17K, you can buy a brand new scion, which is also a toyota, and will be completed covered under warranty and have piece of mind. Food for thought.

I bought a used 02 last Feb. I love the car. Make sure the services are up to date. I just had a major service done at 90K? and it cost about $1200.00 but I did put in a new water pump and something else. For my money carfax is one good investment. I only wish I had bought one sooner!