Outside D/s Mirror Doesn't Go Up Or Down

nu2virginia

05 ES330, driver's side mirror doesn't go up or down with either the 4-way switch on the dash or while in "automatic down when placed in reverse" mode. Is there a seperate fuse for this function? Is the problem more likely to be with a motor in the mirror itself, or with the 4-way switch? Side to side fxn works fine. Used to be intermittent, now, it doesn't work at all.

nu2virginia,

Your mirror problem is in the wiring, the switch or the motor in the mirror for the up/down motion. The fuse will not be involved in this case since your mirror still functions left and right. The only way to tell for sure will be to remove the inner door panel to get at the wiring for the mirror. The wiring harness from the mirror is perhaps a foot long to its connector in the door. Disconnect the 4 wire connector (there should be a 2 wire connector as well if your mirrors are heater equipped), and using the harness section to the mirror, apply a 12 volt source to two of the pins. The mirror should move in one direction. Reversing the polarity to the same 2 pins should make the mirror go in the opposite direction it did the first time. Using the 2 other pins, do the same procedure as before. If the mirror then moves in a 3rd direction, and then a fourth when the polarity is changed, you'll know you don't have a mirror problem. If, however, one set of mirror directions can't be achieved, you'll need to replace the entire mirror, as parts are not available, mirrors are changed as an entire unit.

If the mirror is fine, then you can test the switch and wiring from the mirror harness in the door. Put a test light across two of the pins, and with the ignition turned on, push the mirror switch in various directions until you get a light. If no light, try another set of pin combinations and repeat. Eventually you should get the light to come on. If you were pushing the mirror up switch when the test light fires, pushing the switch down should also give you a light. Select the other pair of pins not used for the test light, and when pushing the left button, if it gives you a light, then likewise pushing the switch to the right should also give you a light since you've just reversed the polarity of the juice. If one pair of switches (up/down or left/right) won't light the test light, you know your wiring or the switch is bad. If the switch can be removed from the dash, you may be able to clean the contacts of the switch with spray electrical contact cleaner, if its internals are dirty rather than broken. Replacing the switch may be the best way to go.

To test the wiring from the mirror to the switch requires a multi meter with one probe on one pin at one end of the harness and the other probe to the same pin at the other end of the harness. If any of the wires doesn't show continuity, the harness is bad and must be repaired or replaced.

None of this is rocket science , but it will take some time to do. I have changed the entire motorized innards of a power mirror from another mirror found in a wrecking yard. This saved me from having to repaint the used mirror's outer shell to match my car. It is possible, but it was a long and frustrating job, and I'm not sure that I would tackle it again. I recall a lot of swearing. Good Luck!

• 1 month later...
05 ES330, driver's side mirror doesn't go up or down with either the 4-way switch on the dash or while in "automatic down when placed in reverse" mode. Is there a seperate fuse for this function? Is the problem more likely to be with a motor in the mirror itself, or with the 4-way switch? Side to side fxn works fine. Used to be intermittent, now, it doesn't work at all.

I had the same issue and it was the tiny drive motor in the mirror that had crapped out a known lexus defect with no recall ..about a $300 fix at your local dealer I'm afraid ...