Car Loses Power And Shut Off While Idling?

I have a 2000 GS 300 and my problem is this. One day I was at a full serve gas station and I was sitting with the engine off but the the ignition in the on position with the radio play. When I was finished fulling up the car was dead, so i left and cam back and hour later and it started fine. The following day I took it to a mechanic he changed the alternator, changed the the belt that goes around the pulleys and checked the battery (battery is brand new). The car will run fine now as long as its in motion or revving, but if its just sitting while idling it loses all power and dies.

I have a 2000 GS 300 and my problem is this. One day I was at a full serve gas station and I was sitting with the engine off but the the ignition in the on position with the radio play. When I was finished fulling up the car was dead, so i left and cam back and hour later and it started fine. The following day I took it to a mechanic he changed the alternator, changed the the belt that goes around the pulleys and checked the battery (battery is brand new). The car will run fine now as long as its in motion or revving, but if its just sitting while idling it loses all power and dies.

TD, welcome to the club! :cheers:

You either have a drain or something in the charging system isn't working properly. Check for the drain with an ammeter. If there's no substantial current, then load test the batt and alt. Mark down the test results, and post them here if you'd like some response.

You either have a drain or something in the charging system isn't working properly. Check for the drain with an ammeter. If there's no substantial current, then load test the batt and alt. Mark down the test results, and post them here if you'd like some response.

When we test it, it reads 14 on the machine which is good so this is why we are baffled. It just won't charge when the car is not moving.

that sucks......i know this wont probably be your solution but check and make sure the alternator pulley isnt "warped" i had one that had a fubar'ed hole and when the shaft would spin it would slip because it wasnt drilled right. so you checked alternator and battery?

that sucks......i know this wont probably be your solution but check and make sure the alternator pulley isnt "warped" i had one that had a fubar'ed hole and when the shaft would spin it would slip because it wasnt drilled right. so you checked alternator and battery?

The alt, batt and belt are brand new and it still happens. Even the dealer is baffled.

When we test it, it reads 14 on the machine which is good so this is why we are baffled. It just won't charge when the car is not moving.

Not clear on what you're reading here? What exactly were you testing and what was the specific reading?

The alt, batt and belt are brand new and it still happens. Even the dealer is baffled.

maybe thats cause they are canadian? :D hehehe just teasin

i have the same problem changed everything u did. i toook it to the shop they checked everything and got my belt changed out to rule that out. The dood at the shop told me that there is a short in my transmission or a ground problem in my solonoid. i dont know how much its gona cost yet ill let u know if anyone has any advice please let me know. GOD DAMN LEXUS I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A BENZ

i have the same problem changed everything u did. i toook it to the shop they checked everything and got my belt changed out to rule that out. The dood at the shop told me that there is a short in my transmission or a ground problem in my solonoid. i dont know how much its gona cost yet ill let u know if anyone has any advice please let me know. GOD DAMN LEXUS I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A BENZ

ask the "DOOD" (um really?......trying spelling dude) what its gonna cost....then see if he has a used benz 2 sell u! talk bout $$$ for maintanance. have fun n that camp

• 2 weeks later...

From experience, I think the problem may be the computer in your car forgot how to idle. I dont know if im using correct car terms or whatnot but the solution may be to just drive around for a good half hour. When you hit a red light, shift to neutral and rev it at a steady 1000-1500 rpms. Try not to go into your parking gear since you dont want to go past your reverse gear while revving the car. I had the same problem when i took out my car battery and that fixed it for me. The car had trouble starting up + idling but after 30 mins of just driving in circles, it relearned itself. I also took it to my lexus dealer and they said the same thing. Good luck.

From experience, I think the problem may be the computer in your car forgot how to idle. I dont know if im using correct car terms or whatnot but the solution may be to just drive around for a good half hour. When you hit a red light, shift to neutral and rev it at a steady 1000-1500 rpms. Try not to go into your parking gear since you dont want to go past your reverse gear while revving the car. I had the same problem when i took out my car battery and that fixed it for me. The car had trouble starting up + idling but after 30 mins of just driving in circles, it relearned itself. I also took it to my lexus dealer and they said the same thing. Good luck.

where did u come up with this? your referring to the ecu relearning itself but it will NEVER make the car shut off....plus NO dealer is gonna tell you that! u should never have to shift into neutral and rev the motor...