Used Oil Disposal

I'm about to do my 350 oil change and for the people that have done their own oil changes, what do you do with your used oil? I have heard of people taking the used oil to gas stations and having to pay them for an oil disposal fee. I'm interested in hearing if there are other options or that only some places charge you for the disposal.

Check with the environmental agency of your local government. In my area (Kansas City metro), the local government provides a list of companies that accept used oil. I take my used oil to a near by Jiffy Lube once or twice a year. They accept up to five gallons of used oil at a time and do not charge me anything.

Other businesses in my area that accept used oil at no charge are Wal-Mart, Advance Auto, Firestone, Sears, Goodyear, Napa, Tires Plus, and a number of others.

I'm about to do my 350 oil change and for the people that have done their own oil changes, what do you do with your used oil? I have heard of people taking the used oil to gas stations and having to pay them for an oil disposal fee. I'm interested in hearing if there are other options or that only some places charge you for the disposal.

Another source of information is your local Waste Management company. OK, trash collector. Call them and see what their policy is about used oil.

In our area the trash collector will take a one gallon container of oil each week but only in one of their containers that they drop off the week before - usually an old milk carton. So six quarts will take 3 weeks to discard. It is much easier to haul the oil to some free place that accepts it.