Isimple Ipod Interface

googs:

Yes, I installed this adapter recently and am very happy with its performance. Here is my post from a different thread:

"I installed an adapter made by Peripheral Electronics, Model PXAMG, see http://peripheralelectronics.com/

It retails for $169.95, but can be had for much less. I was lucky enough to find one on closeout at Circuit City for $89.95. Crutchfield has them and also check Amazon. Had to buy an updated cable for another $30 from Crutchfield due to the fact that Apple changed the interface connector related to charging. See

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_541PODCBL5/Pe...able&tp=122

I must say it works great and allows me full control of the Playlists, etc. that are on my IPod, from either the radio and/or steering wheel controls. I do not have a Nav system. Sound quality is terrific.....every bit as good, possibly better, than CDs. This unit also has an AUX input that allows another accessory such as an XM and/or Sirius unit to be played through the head unit as well.

I did the install myself and found it to be very straightforward. I mounted the unit (approx 4" x 3") in an area directly behind the radio using velcro. Connecting cables for IPod and AUX were just fed over side/back of glovebox. I connect the IPod there and leave it in the glove box since it can be controlled via the radio controls.

WARNING: For all of you DIYers like myself. The head unit is secured with 4 10mm bolts. The two bottom ones are easily visible and can be removed without difficulty. The upper bolts are recessed and hard to see. You will need to position your head on the seat to get a look at them. IMPORTANT: Get a magnetic insert that will fit in your 10mm socket. Otherwise, you will lose the bolts in the console and you will likely not be able to retrieve them. Worse yet, if you are not careful in withdrawing you socket when removing the recessed upper bolts, it is easy to snag the edge of the socket on an overhanging edge of the radio faceplate, and it too will drop into the console, not able to be retrieved ! So proceed carefully.

I was able to purchase a set of socket magnet inserts at Sears, but ended up cutting away the plastic insert surround to allow better contact between the magnet and the bolt.

Hope this helps and good luck to all who attempt the install. Believe me, the hardest part is getting up enough confidence to remove the holding bolts for the head unit ! Just proceed carefully.

P.S. To get access to the holding bolts, you must remove two trim plates: 1. the one around the shift lever.....just place your fingers along the font edge and pull up; 2. the little one that holds the lighter and the seat warmer controls.....just pull out directly.

Thanks for the review.. I was thinking of checking out the local CC to see if they have any more left. Do you think you can take pictures of the removal of the plates? I am afraid I will break it. Was thinking of taking it to BB and pay them...

googs:

Yes, I installed this adapter recently and am very happy with its performance. Here is my post from a different thread:

"I installed an adapter made by Peripheral Electronics, Model PXAMG, see http://peripheralelectronics.com/

It retails for $169.95, but can be had for much less. I was lucky enough to find one on closeout at Circuit City for $89.95. Crutchfield has them and also check Amazon. Had to buy an updated cable for another $30 from Crutchfield due to the fact that Apple changed the interface connector related to charging. See

I must say it works great and allows me full control of the Playlists, etc. that are on my IPod, from either the radio and/or steering wheel controls. I do not have a Nav system. Sound quality is terrific.....every bit as good, possibly better, than CDs. This unit also has an AUX input that allows another accessory such as an XM and/or Sirius unit to be played through the head unit as well.

I did the install myself and found it to be very straightforward. I mounted the unit (approx 4" x 3") in an area directly behind the radio using velcro. Connecting cables for IPod and AUX were just fed over side/back of glovebox. I connect the IPod there and leave it in the glove box since it can be controlled via the radio controls.

WARNING: For all of you DIYers like myself. The head unit is secured with 4 10mm bolts. The two bottom ones are easily visible and can be removed without difficulty. The upper bolts are recessed and hard to see. You will need to position your head on the seat to get a look at them. IMPORTANT: Get a magnetic insert that will fit in your 10mm socket. Otherwise, you will lose the bolts in the console and you will likely not be able to retrieve them. Worse yet, if you are not careful in withdrawing you socket when removing the recessed upper bolts, it is easy to snag the edge of the socket on an overhanging edge of the radio faceplate, and it too will drop into the console, not able to be retrieved ! So proceed carefully.

I was able to purchase a set of socket magnet inserts at Sears, but ended up cutting away the plastic insert surround to allow better contact between the magnet and the bolt.

Hope this helps and good luck to all who attempt the install. Believe me, the hardest part is getting up enough confidence to remove the holding bolts for the head unit ! Just proceed carefully.

P.S. To get access to the holding bolts, you must remove two trim plates: 1. the one around the shift lever.....just place your fingers along the font edge and pull up; 2. the little one that holds the lighter and the seat warmer controls.....just pull out directly.

That's a very good price. Are you able use the Navigation screen for the scrolling/selecting songlist/playlist?

The installation video is here

and product details here http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/?ProductId=276

googs:

That's a very good price. Are you able use the Navigation screen for the scrolling/selecting songlist/playlist?

The installation video is here

and product details here http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/?ProductId=276

Yes, the adapter will utilize the Nav screen if you have one. I don't but it displays/and utilizes radio controls on head unit/display and steering wheel controls as well.

• 3 weeks later...

so I got my 5v cable and took me about 2 hrs on Friday and got everything installed. The hardest part was pulling the panel off where the seat heaters are since you don't have whole lot of space and afraid of breaking it and then the 2 bolts hidden up. I lost a 10mm socket in the console some where in there. The tape trick worked pulling the bolts out but had to be careful not to hit anything as they would fall off pretty easy. Now the only issue I see to be having is not able to see any of the tracklist or folders from my ipod on the Audio screen. Anyone know how to fix it? i tried the FM to AM/Sat button thing but it didnt do it.