Softer Brake Pedal At High Speeds

amol_pat

Hi,

I own a 1995 Es 300 with 130,000 miles on it. Couple of years ago, I had soft brake pedal issue and it turned out to be faulty master cylinder. I got it replaced then and things have been fine. I also changed the brake pads and the rotors at the same time. However, I have noticed one difference since then. Whenever I am driving at lower speeds (<55 mph), braking is really good, i.e. whenever I press on the brake pedal, car starts slowing down right away. But when I am driving at high speeds, I have noticed I have to press the pedal further down (at least 30% more) to see any noticeable slowing down. It does brake fine. I did not bother to pay much attention to it until now since my going on highways was always less then 20 miles; that too once a week. I recently decided to keep the car since it drives well otherwise and I just don't feel like starting another monthly payment. I am planning to move in a couple of months and drive approx 1000 miles in it. I don't want any mishaps on the road! :-) So I am wondering if there is anything I could do to fix this problem?

Brake fluid level is normal.

Any input is appreciated.

amol_pat,

From what you describe I would think that it may be time to rebleed each of the calipers. You may have a small amount of air somewhere in the lines. If rebleeding doesn't cure what you think is a problem, it may well be that you don't have one, and that everything is normal. I've owned a lot of cars over the years, and done a lot of brake jobs. And everyone of them has a different feel at the pedal.

If you're still convinced you have a problem, take to a mechanic and have it checked out. Good Luck!

amol_pat,

From what you describe I would think that it may be time to rebleed each of the calipers. You may have a small amount of air somewhere in the lines. If rebleeding doesn't cure what you think is a problem, it may well be that you don't have one, and that everything is normal. I've owned a lot of cars over the years, and done a lot of brake jobs. And everyone of them has a different feel at the pedal.

If you're still convinced you have a problem, take to a mechanic and have it checked out. Good Luck!

Gbhrps,

Thanks a bunch for your input. I will bleed the calipers over the weekend.. Interestingly, I replaced all four tires yesterday (after 50,000 miles) and went on the highway for a few miles and noticed that braking was better.. may be my old bald tires did not have that much traction and I needed to press harder to make them stop?

amol pat,

You may be absolutely correct about your tires. The two things you don't want to ignore on a car are the tires and the brakes. You can forget just about every other system on a vehicle to some extent, but if you can't stop the car once its moving you are in for a whole lot of pain. Good Luck!

amol pat,

You may be absolutely correct about your tires. The two things you don't want to ignore on a car are the tires and the brakes. You can forget just about every other system on a vehicle to some extent, but if you can't stop the car once its moving you are in for a whole lot of pain. Good Luck!

gbhrps,

I agree with you completely. Thanks again for your reply..