Rx Headlight Condensation / Moisture Fix - Diy

Hi everyone,

The following fix is for 2006 RX 400h headlight and I believe it can be applied to all others.

I bought my 2006 RX 400H two months ago and it has headlight condesnation problem since day one (driver side). I check online and can't really find any helpful information. Most of the people has it fixed under warranty but unfortunately mine is out therefore I decide to try to fix it myself before spending thousand dollar on a new one.

first, you have to take out the headlight assembly, there are totally 4 bolts you need to loose up and also you need to take out part of the bumper in order to slide the headlight out.

Here is the look of the headlight from the back:

P1010422_1.jpg

Once you take it out, you will be able to access all the light bulbs. I found that almost all the rubber O-ring on the bulb socket were cooked. See the picture below and you will understand what I'm talking about. I believe that's where most of the mostiure/water get in the headlight. I bought my new O-Ring assortment from Harbor Freight. 20 bucks for the whole box.

P1010421_1.jpg

P1010425_1.jpg

P1010426_1.jpg

P1010435_1.jpg

Once you replace all the broken O-Rings, you might want to try to seal the assembly along the cover with outdoor silicon to stop the water leaking in from the side. Remember to tape it first, you don't want the silicon to ruin the cover. You will see a gap between the lens/cover and the assembly body. Just fill up that gap and wait for it to cure.

P1010428_1.jpg

P1010429_1.jpg

P1010430_1.jpg

While you waiting the silicon to cure, use the hair dryer to dry up all the mositure trap inside. It might take from 10 mins to an hour depend on how much of water were traped inside.

P1010434_1.jpg

And that's it !! put the headlight back in carefully and don't wash the car for couple days to let the silicon fully dry. My headlight doesn't have any condesnation problem since then, I drove it in the rain and also on highway speed for couple weeks and it's still clean!! I believe the fix is fairly easy, everyone should be able to finish it within hours :)

Good luck!!

Cheers,

Derek Chiou

• 3 months later...