Oem Navi Or Portable Gps?

I recently purchased a 06 GS300 without the Navi system. Now after about a month of driving the car, I really regret the decision not getting one with the Navi option. anyone here can give some inputs on which option to go with, getting an OEM navi unit or simply go to Costco and get a Garmin GPS?? After reading some of the posts here about hacking the navi & DVD system... I truely think getting one with the Navi option is the best choice, but I guess its too late for me. anyone install an after market in-dash Navi in a GS before?? Thanks in advance

OEM navi would be the most expensive choice and not necessary the best one either. After market in dash nav can have the same features as the oem for less money. Finally, portable units are the cheapest and just as many features but it lacks the big screen and you have to wait for it to link to the satellite everytime you turn it on.

OEM navi would be the most expensive choice and not necessary the best one either. After market in dash nav can have the same features as the oem for less money. Finally, portable units are the cheapest and just as many features but it lacks the big screen and you have to wait for it to link to the satellite everytime you turn it on.

Current portable navigation devices boot up just as fast as in-dash navigation units. I think a big screen nav would be nice but if I had to replace my portable nav today, I'd buy another one (a Garmin this time) with a 3:4 ratio small screen. I rarely look at the screen while driving except when I have the view zoomed out so I can see terrain features -- just for entertainment -- while driving on trips. I just listen to the voice prompts telling me when to turn and which road to turn on.

Modern portable nav's no longer have to be mounted on the windshield or on top of the dash to get a good signal. I have my "old" (2007) Magellan 2200T mounted on a bracket by the radio and it almost always picks up the maximum number of satellites. It may not be as pretty as in-dash but it is certainly effective and it would be easy to replace at low cost: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...si&img=1349

Which after market in-dash nav is best for the GS? How do they integrate with the screen? or I basically have to replace the whole thing?

• 6 months later...

I hate the navi in my Lexus. I think it takes me the bus route.

I have a Garmin w/bluetooth from Costco and it works much better than the one Lexus provides. Sometimes, if I really have no idea how to get where I am going, I bring in the Garmin.

With the Lexus navi, you can't add addresses while driving, it almost never takes me straight to my destination, it will say "you have arrived at your destination" and I will be in the middle of an intersection! I can't make outgoing phone calls on the bluetooth, the screen reflects the sun, it doesn't tell me which street I will be turning on to-it just gives me the distance and direction I will need to turn next and the distance is always off and it is MUCH more complicated than it needs to be. I am in Calif, if I go to LA or some other city it automatically defaults me to Nevada. I have friends who said theirs does that too, I could go on and on...I hate it.

• 2 weeks later...
I hate the navi in my Lexus. I think it takes me the bus route.

I have a Garmin w/bluetooth from Costco and it works much better than the one Lexus provides. Sometimes, if I really have no idea how to get where I am going, I bring in the Garmin.

With the Lexus navi, you can't add addresses while driving, it almost never takes me straight to my destination, it will say "you have arrived at your destination" and I will be in the middle of an intersection! I can't make outgoing phone calls on the bluetooth, the screen reflects the sun, it doesn't tell me which street I will be turning on to-it just gives me the distance and direction I will need to turn next and the distance is always off and it is MUCH more complicated than it needs to be. I am in Calif, if I go to LA or some other city it automatically defaults me to Nevada. I have friends who said theirs does that too, I could go on and on...I hate it.

Thank you, this is helpful. What type of Garmin do you have?