95 Ls400 Transmission Fluid Comes Out From Dipstick

chacor

I bought a LS400 a month ago. It is a gen two LS400, made in Oct/Nov 94. It has a new radiator, timing belt, water pump, themostat, front struct mounts, lower control arm ball joints, new engine mount put in last month (Jan 2009). The last owner has also installed a rebuilt transmission in 2005.

I had two incidents (happened today) where transmission fluid coming out from the dipstick which drops on the engine block and exhaust, and a lot of smoke came out from the engine hood. I had it towed to the repair shop today. It is quite scary! All this occured after we put in the new radiator (with a built-in transmission fluid cooler) last month (January 2009). The mechanic told me that he has never seen this before. He suspects either it is due to a faulty transmission fluid cooler which is built inside the new radiator; or an "air" valve inside the transmission that regulates the transmission fluid pressure is not working properly and to fix this he needs to drop the tranny.

Does anyone have seen this before? Advises much appreciated!

there is a vent pipe for the tranny, but is it possible they overfilled the transmission????

The mechanic thought it was overfilled and they drained out some. But this was the first time when it happened. The second time occurred yesterday. The fluid level was checked normal before I left the repair shop in the morning. Then I drove it for about 50km the fluid stared to come out from the dipstick.

there is a vent pipe for the tranny, but is it possible they overfilled the transmission????

Could you direct me where is the vent pipe located? Do you have chart that I can pass to the repair shop for the to have a look? Thanks.

The mechanic thought it was overfilled and they drained out some.

Not sure I'm getting it. Mechanic THOUGHT it was overfilled???????????? Since when do shops guess at fluid levels? :chairshot:

But this was the first time when it happened.

When what happened? Fluid coming up the dipstick?

The second time occurred yesterday. The fluid level was checked normal before I left the repair shop in the morning.

Who checked it? If it's the same guy that guessed it was overfilled the first time, then maybe he guessed the level was ok this time as well! You know, intuition. :chairshot:

Sounds like you need to go to find a qualified shop with mechanics that actually measure fluid levels! If you go back to the same shop, my guess is you'll leave with empty pockets!

Not sure I'm getting it. Mechanic THOUGHT it was overfilled???????????? Since when do shops guess at fluid levels?:chairshot:

The second time occurred yesterday. The fluid level was checked normal before I left the repair shop in the morning.

Who checked it? If it's the same guy that guessed it was overfilled the first time, then maybe he guessed the level was ok this time as well! You know, intuition. :chairshot:

Sounds like you need to go to find a qualified shop with mechanics that actually measure fluid levels! If you go back to the same shop, my guess is you'll leave with empty pockets!

You are right! This guy is not an expert in fixing Lexus. The only reason I sent the car to this garage is because I bought it from this shop. The owner keeps his words of fixing the problems for me. I bought it January. I noticed that there is some annoying noice coming out from the front suspension and brakes. The shop put a pair of new front struct mount cap and some other parts including lower control arms ball joints and some bushing. They absorbed the part charges and levied only nominal labour charges. They are keeping their words and this is the reason I bring back the car to them. Having said they are no expert in fixing Lexus, and will take them a long time and a lot of trial to find out the problems.

About the noise from the brake - when I picked the car there was no noise. I asked the shop to drain out all brake fluid and replace with new one since the car is already 15 years old and I feel that it is time to get new brake fluid. After it, I noticed that whenever I step (or touch) the brake pedal I hear some noise from the front - which is sounding like some movement parts are rusty. I went to another repair shop on this noise and they told me that this is because I put in new fluid and the new fluid is stronger and exert more pressure than the old fluid and may have damaged the brake calipers. I asked the shop (the one that sold me the car) to check this and they told me 2 of the four pistons of the front calipers need lubricant and they put some brake "paste" which quiet the noise a bit but I still hear it. I am thinking to replace it with new calipers but just wonder whether the calipers can be rebuilt and if so where to find the parts.

Not sure I'm getting it. Mechanic THOUGHT it was overfilled???????????? Since when do shops guess at fluid levels?:chairshot:

Who checked it? If it's the same guy that guessed it was overfilled the first time, then maybe he guessed the level was ok this time as well! You know, intuition.:chairshot:

You are right! This guy is not an expert in fixing Lexus. The only reason I sent the car to this garage is because I bought it from this shop. The owner keeps his words of fixing the problems for me. I bought it January. I noticed that there is some annoying noice coming out from the front suspension and brakes. The shop put a pair of new front struct mount cap and some other parts including lower control arms ball joints and some bushing. They absorbed the part charges and levied only nominal labour charges. They are keeping their words and this is the reason I bring back the car to them. Having said they are no expert in fixing Lexus, and will take them a long time and a lot of trial to find out the problems.

About the noise from the brake - when I picked the car there was no noise. I asked the shop to drain out all brake fluid and replace with new one since the car is already 15 years old and I feel that it is time to get new brake fluid. After it, I noticed that whenever I step (or touch) the brake pedal I hear some noise from the front - which is sounding like some movement parts are rusty. I went to another repair shop on this noise and they told me that this is because I put in new fluid and the new fluid is stronger and exert more pressure than the old fluid and may have damaged the brake calipers. I asked the shop (the one that sold me the car) to check this and they told me 2 of the four pistons of the front calipers need lubricant and they put some brake "paste" which quiet the noise a bit but I still hear it. I am thinking to replace it with new calipers but just wonder whether the calipers can be rebuilt and if so where to find the parts.

Sorry to be a hardass. I just find it incredulous at times that people meekly accept poor/shoddy service. Good that your shop is willing to do all repairs for you at a reasonable cost. I hope you factored in some of this cost when you were buying the car. As for your calipers, there are plenty of threads in this forum on that topic. I suggest you read up. Short answer, if they aren't badly scored, yes you can rebuild. I would use only oem kits/parts from Lexus. You might be able to find them cheaper online (ebay?) than from the dealer.

BTW, welcome to the LOC! :cheers: